Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Which year/model of 240/180sx is BEST DRIFT CAR

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 AM

Which year/model of 240/180sx is BEST DRIFT CAR

I am sick of FF (Honda) and looking into buying a Drift Car to build! Which year of 240sx or 180sx is the best to build for Drifting?

i am also looking into AE86 too.

Thanks for your input!
-Tenzin
Old 10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

well that could be argued, but they are all the same chassy so it really isn't a huge difference. 89-90's are lighter, but I'd say 91 because the dohc, lol.

Dr.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:01 AM

I plan on doing SR20Det engine swap....so 89-90 be better?

would it handle S15 engine with 6 speed?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Which year/model of 240/180sx is BEST DRIFT CAR

Originally posted by Tenzin
I am sick of FF (Honda) and looking into buying a Drift Car to build! Which year of 240sx or 180sx is the best to build for Drifting?

i am also looking into AE86 too.

Thanks for your input!
-Tenzin
doesn't really matter a whole lot. it's all about the setup (particularly, but not limited to the suspension). if we're talking about stock form:

- S13's are lighter (the coupe the lightest)
- S14's tend to have a stiffer body (or so i'm told)
- 91+ 240's (S13 & S14 DOHC) have more stock power than 89-90's (SOHC)

in the end, it's mostly about suspension tuning, and ur own driving ability. so, in essence, drift w/e u like. don't forget that the FC3S (the model before the very last one) RX-7 is also a popular choice along w/240's and hachi's. hell, search the web, and u'll find a guy in hawaii drifting an iroc camaro!! have u ever seen "Mischief 3000" (DVD, available @ hollywood video)? had guys drifting an IS300 sportcross, mustang cobra, and even a 300ZX. look in the motorsports/drifting forums for videos that Stanbo posted. G35 coupe gettin busy. oh, and if u haven't heard by now, it ain't all about power, either. in light of that, do urself a huge (and i mean HUGE) favor and d/l the "drift bible" located in the "off topic" forums. u'll see a 130ps (roughly equivalent to 128hp) ae86 drifting smoothly.

maybe i answered ur question, maybe i didn't. either way, hopefully u got something out of this waste of forum space i call a post.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

I plan on doing SR20Det engine swap....so 89-90 be better?

would it handle S15 engine with 6 speed?
any S13/S14 will take the S15 SR (i believe). as far as the six speed thing, sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. i read somewhere that japanese drifters usually lose the 6 spd in favor of the 5 for drifting. i dunno, search here, NICO, 240sxforums, and the web for more info. question: do u know how to drift now? if not, r u planning on doing the swap first? just curious...
Old 10-06-2003, 11:36 AM

You really are POST *****!

I am Best Motoring video collector i see all kinds of Drifts in it.

I know the best car format is Mid Engined Rear wheel drive...like NSX and MR2 but how come they are not popular in Drift area?

I mean I don't see lot of people doing that..maybe it's because it's expensive??

My first plan was to put $ 10k on motor on my 2002 Acura RSX Type S..but now i am having second thought about it..i am thinking about buying car (AE86 or 240SX) and putting 10k on the second car....as my Drift Machine
Old 10-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

You really are POST *****!

I am Best Motoring video collector i see all kinds of Drifts in it.

I know the best car format is Mid Engined Rear wheel drive...like NSX and MR2 but how come they are not popular in Drift area?

I mean I don't see lot of people doing that..maybe it's because it's expensive??

My first plan was to put $ 10k on motor on my 2002 Acura RSX Type S..but now i am having second thought about it..i am thinking about buying car (AE86 or 240SX) and putting 10k on the second car....as my Drift Machine
thank ya! i'm not sure if MR is the best format for drifting. what i do know is that, because more of the weight is toward the rear, that tends to make them prone to heavy oversteer. is that necessarily better for drifting? that would depend on the style of the driver. the NSX isn't that popular a drift car for one huge reason: price. the initial cost for one, plus the dough for mods or replacement parts/repair = more than what most "recreational" (read: non-professional, non-sponsored) drifters can afford. as far as the MR2, i'm sure that they get down pretty often. possibly, the FR platform is more popular because of it's weight ratio, predictability of handling, and common availability (and hence, price of maintaining).
Old 10-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

MR2s arent the best for drifting..hell there is no "best" drifting car out there. All 240s are great drifting cars..AE86's are great..they were made to drift in my eyes Back to MR2s...they are great handling cars..they can take turns like its nothing. but when it comes to drifting, its not that great. You can drift with it..u can drift with anything..but i wouldnt buy it to drift. And remember, suspension is KEY!
Old 10-06-2003, 02:07 PM

so with 10k to spend on the car...would you guys buy SR20DET engine or RB engine?

i want to spend about $ 2-3-4k on the car about under 10k on the upgrade!

which route would be best?
Old 10-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

For drifting...u dont need much power..bout 300-350 would be good. Go for the SR20..unless u wanna be special and go for a RB20 or a RB25..but i would go for a SR for drifting..better weight.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Warning I am about to put my foot in my mouth, I don't mean to be MEAN but here we go:

Dude you spend 10k on a car and don't drive you are running the chance to get schooled by a guy with a crap car.

Money is not everything.

10k aint gonna get you a built SR just a half *** car.

I would hope you can just take this as advice and maybe talk it out with me.

I am not a honda hater I am just a "I can get a drift car for 3k hater."

If you do not want to listen to me that is fine to. I am just a ***** with a keyboard.

I have been dealing with a big lash of NE guys that are running to get SRs and swear I have one in my car now.

What is up with the "where did you get your SR installed emails?" I don't have one, a lot of my friends dont' have them and you sure as heII don't need one to drift or be competetive.

I am a dick so please take me with a grain of salt.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:00 AM

Well put stan

now, Tenzin this isnt all directed at you, so if parts dont apply to you dont worry bout it.

Like i have said other times its agervating that people that have never driven a 240sx look on teh internet or in a mag or at an even and hear they are good fro drifing...they start lookin at mods they want when they get one and all this stuff they want to do with it. My advice is get the car pay a 1-4k for one drive it feel it. If you like it then drop money into it. If you dont, you'll be glad you didnt right off the bat.

people tend to want an sr before anything, personally id do suspention, brakes and stiffen it up first. and as for the s15 in a s13... your gunna pay a hell of alot for fabrication.

My 240sx is a 92 coupe and its 100% stock and an AUTO. I drift in it everyonce in a while. Not very good for the car,but I plan on getting a manual and some coilovers.

You can drift anything with some practise and skill...

Last edited by Hella 240; 10-07-2003 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

12,359.50 without an update from the last two months. I HAVE NO SR YET.

I am putting my spring shopping/mod list together and it is looking like:

14,493.21 and that is MSRP without install and without mounting tires and shipping for all of them and taxes and bla bla bla.

That is gonna get a SR in my car. 14 goshdarn K.

I will update this when I continue.

I haven't picked out a Fing FMIC yet!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

hey Tenzin, listen to these guys, they won't steer u wrong. i was gonna preach the whole "drift-before-u-upgrade" angle, but i forgot somewhere. anyways, Stan makes good points. if u haven't already, pull down the videos that he posted of some of the meets he's been to (as i suggested earlier). u'll see what can happen w/stock ka24(d)e's and, in some cases, stock suspensions w/o lsd's!! u said that ur a best motoring collector, right? if so, then look closer at the stock ae86's (with all their 128hp) tearing it up. no one's trying to discourage u from doing what u want. if anything, we're trying to make it easier. look at it this way: u spend about 3K on ur car (including the car), u start to drift it and decide u don't like drifting. ur only out 3K (some of which u could recover by selling the car). or if u total it, same thing. now, u post 1000s upon 1000s of bills into this thing and the same thing happens, u'll probably feel like ***. if anything, by going with what u got in the beginning and then upgrading as u go, all u stand to lose is immediate gratification. i think u'd find that a better solution, but that's just me...

gahdammmm, Stan!! $14.5 K??? i think i'm gonna need another job...
Old 10-07-2003, 07:33 AM

my little brother has 95 240sx with koni shocks/spring/350z brake upgrade/nismo bushing/apexi strut and 18" wheels...custom full exhaust and intake!

i have driven it couple of time...it's pretty heavy but haven't played with it...drifting..i don't want to damage his car!

So, i think first I will just buy a car and maybe do suspension/brake/lsd and see how it goes!

Quick Reply: Which year/model of 240/180sx is BEST DRIFT CAR