Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

1.5 way vs. 2 way LSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cliff2286
Okay I guess nobody is allowed to ask questions here at club240.com. Since you just get told to search this forum, or other forums or google to get anwsers right? Correct me if im wrong, isnt this what a forum is for, disscussing 240's and what we are trying to do to them. I'm sorry we don't all know everything about our 240's. Thats why we joined this forum in the first place, to learn something more. But i guess we will just stick to google and our "search button". Or the Mods my get us and ban us for asking questions when someone somewhere on the internet might have covered it before. And catching **** from other people that think they are mods in this GREAT AWESOME club240 forum.
No one is saying that you're not allowed to ask questions. That's a part of the learning process. The problem is that the topic has been covered several times. Notice: No one has locked or deleted this thread; therefore it was merely a notification before you post to PLEASE search.

I understand this forum is still growing, and there isn't a lot of information that you can obtain directly at your fingertips, so I was helping him perhaps find what he needed by searching. If you search "LSD", there are 20 pages of results, half of which mention LSD's in passing.

Yes, it did take me a while to find those links in my post above. Yes, it was rather difficult. This is the exact reason why mods ask you to search. No one is out to get you, no one is out to ban you, it's to make it easier for members like yourself to find information when you want it. Moderators really have better things to do than to sit here and spoon-feed people, but honestly--we still do it. We are all here because we love learning and sharing information in a mature and reasonable manner. So I'm sorry if that upsets you, and I'm SO sorry that searching is such a difficult task.

Either way; I did link you to the answer to your questions, so feel free to read up on that and if you still don't want to search, just PM me and I'll search for you so that you don't have to cry about it.

Last edited by Initial Daniel; 11-04-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the links Initial Daniel, they helped with a few things. Cliff wasn't the one with the questions regarding the LSD, it was me. I think he was just trying to stand up for something that he has seen before, but I also think you were just trying to help as well. So guys, lets just be cool and share info, knowledge, etc. We don't need to hate...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, I know--he was the second person to ask. He was asking about the J30 LSD also, so I decided to link a few things there as well.

I share the same point; no one is trying to hate here at all, so that's that, I guess.

So did you already decide what kind of LSD you were looking into getting? If you're still up in the air; there is actually an LSD called "Quaife", while it isn't clutch type, and it is a little bit more expensive, this LSD does have a Lifetime guarantee (even on the track!).

So in the end it may be more cost efficient to go that way; but be aware it is gear driven, so you won't get the same 100% lock-up, it does it based on the force applied to the given wheel. I know people who have used it, and they say it's great, but I've never actually driven a car with it myself.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 PM

I do appreciate the links and the advise Initial Daniel. I think your right you get what you pay for and i think 2 way kaaz is the way i want to go. i guess i will just start saving. i'v heard that the j30's wear out under the stress of drifting alot. So i would be pissed if i through away the money on that. Sorry to Lash out like that. And TypeX180 thanks for Nothing.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

No problem, guys. Just here to help, honestly. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything when I was telling you guys to search, I just think that the feature should be utilized more as a tool to help you find what you're looking for.

...It's all good guys, all good. Any more questions, let me know!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Typex180 YOU ARE A NOOB. ****.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ryguy
Typex180 YOU ARE A NOOB. ****.
Aw, Ryguy...that wasn't very nice. But I'm sure you said that in jest...lol. No hard feelings here at Club240.com. We're all really nice guys, really! So I think the LSD thing has been well answered here today...lol!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 PM

okay off to start another repetitive thread that has probably been covered before with out using the search button. Just to smite TypeX180. just kidding. yall have been pretty helpfull.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Cliff and I Daniel, you guys are both G's. Thanks for both of your help. That quaife sounds interesting. I'm gonna have to check it out. Anyone used one for drifting? Seems if it used the force on the given wheel to lock up then it would be similar performance to a Helical. Or maybe I'm just nuts/confused. Anyway, good lookin everyone
Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. A helical LSD, like the one found on the S15 only better.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Helical LSDs arent good for drifting. They distribute power unevenly to both wheels. They are great for grip racing, not so much for drifting.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, its mostly used by rally drivers, I don't know how well they work for drift, but Ry is probably right...most drifters do prefer 100 percent lock up.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 AM

I've been looking at LSD's on RHDJapan.com and I think I'm gonna go with the Cusco 2 way. My main concern about the 2 way was the noise and potentially violent lock up. But in rhdjapan.com is says this, "The RS LSD uses a spring technology which keeps differential noises to a minimum, improves durability due to the clutch plates enduring lower pressures, and better lap times from low power loss for any vehicle." It sounds pretty appealing to me at least. Thanks for all your input
Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM

This thread should of been more like.... Would a HLSD (helical) be better suited than a1.5way DIFF, OR A 2 way DIFF?

Instead of a 1.5 way just go helical instead. The OBX is cheap and reliable. I use it for drifting...COUGH COUGH ryguy!!!LOL

Helical's will last fore ever as it has no friction related parts.
True clutch type LSDs have a life span that can only be as long as the driver abuses it.
Viscous LSD's; well plain and simply they are used for OEM application because it is cheap and reliable enough for factory warranty, after that it's crap, and will start to work like an open diff.Buyer beware on used viscous diffs

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-18-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

This is funny that I'm reviving this thread, but just to let some of you guys in on a little secret I found out, the Cusco 1.5 can be switched out to a 2 way. I was told that theres something inside the diff you "switch" cant think of another word for it... but yeah, you save a little and have both 1.5 and 2 if you want it. But like Vince said, clutch types only last so long. Weld your open diff. Cheapest way to do it and you'll have a 2 way permanent, but be careful of slow and small turns, inside tire spins a little.

Quick Reply: 1.5 way vs. 2 way LSD