Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

1st RWD Car, Rear lifts and lowers when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 07:46 PM

Question 1st RWD Car, Rear lifts and lowers when shifting

Hello 240sx Community!
I am nubee to this forum. I have had car (1998, auto, Open diff, 65K original miles) for 2yrs. Car runs and reponds great with no problems. Just that there is something that is annoying. When car is shifted from park to gear the rear lowers, if it is shifted to reverse, the rear rises, both movements are accompanied with a "creeping noise" coming from the rear and the lowering and rising is very noticable, anyone had/has this issue? Any recommendations how to remedy? It has always done this, just that I would like ur feedback to see if this is common amoung 240s.

Not sure if this is related but when car shifts @ lower RPMs (1500-3000) from 1st to 2nd the shift is very noticable, I guess it feels like a jerk, after driving it for about an hour, it will somewhat smooth out. Another RWD I drove did this, is this just something normal for RWD, or can something be done to fix this?

Thanks for all your feedback!
Old 03-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

my dads beemer does that very noticably too. i think it may be normal for an automatic.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:46 PM

All I can say is it doesn't sound like there's a real problem, when an auto tranny fails it starts slipping and then after a time wont shift (if you let it go that long), the point is though is that if your tranny was dying it would be an escalating problem.

As for the lower rpm hard shift, if you say it smoothes out after driving for a while then it sounds like it's somethin the tranny does when it's cold, nothing to really freak out about there.

If you're real concerned then you can always just have a pro drop the pan on the tranny and see if there are any obvious problems, when things get damaged in a tranny there'll usually be metal shavings and other debris in the pan to let you know something screwed up. It's a fast process and probably wont cost hardly anything. But as long as the tranny doesn't slip when it's trying to shift it's probably fine.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 AM

Sounds like your tranny is ok, but you may want to have the rear shock and bushings checked for wear. That's all that could be causing the "lift/lower" feeling. Maybe rear subframe bushings as well. Any decent tech can check those things, or if you feel like, search around the forums for rear suspension How To's...

Dan
Old 03-19-2006, 05:11 PM

Hey guys thanks for the input. At least now I know where to begin looking to troubleshoot. It seems like it's just one of those things that you just have to try this then that and so on until the problem (if there is any) is fixed. Thanks again, and I will post later on once I have it checked out.