Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

auto to 5spd question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:15 PM

auto to 5spd question

how the hell do you put in the clutch pedal? do you have to cut a hole in the firewall and mount it?? never done a swap over before so this might be a dumb question lol....

also, I read that if you have all the parts it would take 2 days max to do this, but for someone thats never done it before, but is still pretty mechanically inclined, do you think it could be done in 2 days? possibly one working 8 or so hours?

THANKS!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 AM

yeah you have to cut through the firewall and mount the pedal.
Put all the bolts you take out into zip lock bags and write on them.
Consider that with something that serious you might break something, something might not work correctly, etc. This could add a day or two pretty easily... longer if you have to wait for a part.
If you have some friends... willing to get dirty... at least one helping you the at most of the time, you did as much prep work as possible ahead of time, read up on serveral different conversion guides and have air tools, 2 days would still be pushing it. I'm talking 2 16 hour days. Give yourseld more time, don't rush and do it right.

Last edited by Enlefo; 04-10-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 PM

Use a hole saw to cut it if you have one. I ended up just drilling a bunch of holes and using a dremel tool to take out the rest. Getting a drill/dremel in there is a pain in the *** but if you're flexible it can be done. Also i reccomend just chopping the auto brake pedal to size cause taking it out and putting the manual one in is a pain in the ***. Be prepared to spend way more time than you think you will, every time i think something will take like an hour, it takes 4.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

I did mine with a friend, first major undertaking I've EVER done. Physically it took a day, but technically it took a week. That's because I had to get a few more parts and ****. It's easy if you can look at something and figure it out. Also the more you read ahead of time the better. For the clutch...the bolt holes are already there...just take a drill and punch those out. The center hole is already marked too. Just get a hole saw of that size and knock that out also.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM

Since you guys are pros at doing 5 spd swaps, do you guys have a REALLY DETAILED website or instructions that I can read on before trying it ?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

There are stickies on here about how to do them. You won't need a really detailed version because there is no such thing. It's very easy. Get a FSM or Chilton's to help you if you need it. You unbolt the auto from the engine, making sure to get rid of the cooler lines and everything. You pull off the flexplate, take out the auto pilot bearing, and start putting manual parts in (pilot bearing, then flywheel, then clutch, then bolt up the manual). Cut your holes for the clutch pedal, run the lines (the brackets are already there) and bleed the system. Wire up your neutral switch and backup lights and drive.

If you still decide you need more info, maybe you're not ready for it...being honest here. I thought I needed more, but I just went out and started ripping **** out. (so to speak). Once you get the auto trans off you'll see how easy it is.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:58 PM

Ok, so I have this button under the gas pedal. When I do this swap, do I just leave it in and unhook it or what?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:10 PM

i too am about to do this swap. i've seen where sum peeps have just rewired sum of the ECU's or w/e, but my question has to do with if i can use my manual 96 ecu in a auto 95 se? i have the 96 now and will more than likely be picking up an auto 95 se. i plan on using the 96 as a parts car for the 95. i've looked at the link for the tranny swap but didn't see the answer, just says a manual ecu.

tia!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Whinin
Ok, so I have this button under the gas pedal. When I do this swap, do I just leave it in and unhook it or what?
Mine is still hooked up, I'd just leave it. My educated guess is that it tells the auto tranny to downshift when you floor it, but it could do other things too. Maybe somone with more knowledge will chime in.