Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

auto to 5spd (clutch pedal question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 AM

auto to 5spd (clutch pedal question)

Okay, so I swapped the ka24de and 5spd tranny into my sohc auto s13. Everything is hooked up, but it won't start. There was a plug in my 5spd parts car that plugged into the clutch pedal, which has a little button that is pushed when the clutch is all the way in. I think that is the reason why it won't start, because manual cars only start when the clutch is all the way in.

I know in the auto that the process goes like this
*key -->inhibitor (which I think makes the car only start in park and neutral) -->selenoid -->starter

And that the manual goes like this
*key -->selenoid -->starter

I just don't know where the inhibitor is so I can hotwire it out of the way, if there is no easier way.

I know this is what's holding me back, so anybody who has done a 5spd swap please help me out. I was using the "s14 swap" guide, and it speaks in generalities, and I don't understand it all the way, so even if someone could help me find a better swap guide, that would be really helpful, this is all I have left to get it to run.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

well...i have that same switch thingy but mine isnt touching anything or near anything. i actually just snapped mine off because it was in my way.

i never have to puch in my clutch to make my car start. ill take a pic of it if you think it will help you
Old 05-02-2005, 10:06 AM

that'd be great if you could, you have an s14 though. It's like plug in the back of the pedal up by the firewall, and thw hole where the master cylinder goes through.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

it should be the same...anyway, ill take a pic for you and we will see if it helps you
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM

I need to bleed the clutch hardlines today. The clutch has NO PRESSURE whatsoever, it just goes straight to the floor, so I need to do that today after work. Also, I just remembered this, I didn't plug the body harness back in, lol. I'ma plug that it, and then go from there.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

cool
i get you that pic as soon as i can
Old 05-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

The reason you can start your swapped auto to manual car without the clutch is because you didn't wire in the clutch pedal sensor. You are right about your auto inhibitor tho. Since you correctly wired that (so that it always senses it's in park), and you don't have the clutch sensor, you can start the car without the pedal being pushed.

To get your car to start...I think all you need to do is set the gear selector (from the old auto) to park and leave it there. Make sure to tie it up away from everything and you should be fine.

Last edited by Preston; 05-03-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 PM

The gear selector get's eliminated in the swap. Some one already told me that the clutch pedal sensor is not needed, if I take a black wire with a white stripe, and a black wire with a yellow stripe on the fuse box, and connect them together so it always senses it's in park. I hope this works.

this thread is dead, the newer thread I started is the newer one, since I found out that the pedal sensor is not hte problem. Thank you for your input though.