Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Auto Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 AM

Auto Tranny Problem

No matter what gear selection I am in the car acts like it's in drive only...except when in P....any ideas (auto tranny).

*I am having very bad idle problems right now (air/fuel mixture issue) Would this affect the tranny in anyway...other than not having full power to drive properly. ?

Thanks in advance.. Scot
Old 05-05-2006, 07:15 AM

what kind of idle problems? rpms idling high? engine shaking?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the reply !

Bought the car over last weekend...plan was if it ran cool...if not I'd fix it...problem is I can't figure out what is wrong...here goes...

Starts...but runs very rough...heavy misfire & will not keep running very long....3 plugs have heavy black residue on them the 4th has gas on it.....I assume that it's a fuel/air issue & maybe a cat clogged.....but I do not know how to check....& the chilton sucks at trouble shooting. Basically I am wondering with the engine issue if that affects the tranny working properly as well.....if so then I can worry less about a pricey tranny & try & figure out the engine issue... * when it does run...very bad smoke from the tail pipe comes out...exhaust heavy in fuel smell..not really an oil cloud of smoke.....best put it's like a bad smog day from hell...LOL Any light you could shed on this would be great.....if you like you can contact me via email lullaby@insightbb.com

Thanks for your time. Scot Allen
Old 05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
PNG

Start with the MAF sensor. Your symptoms sound exactly like what happens when it's disconnected.

Make sure that all the air intake connections between the MAF and the throttle body are secure, then unplug and replug the electrical connector on the sensor.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 PM

the tranny problem could be just a snapped or stuck cable happened on my moms truck, is it moving foward in every gear including reverse if so im pretty sure its an easy and cheap fix
Old 05-05-2006, 05:40 PM

Awesome guys....I will spend a bit of time checking out the MAF & the tranny cable...& post again soon !!!! Thanks !!! Scot