Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

torque convert/auto tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 02:22 PM

torque convert/auto tranny problem

Ok, my car started acting up the other day. I believe the torque converter is the problem but I know very little about auto-tranny's. Whenever the engine is not under load like if I let of the gas on the highway, and then I give it gas to put load on it, I hear this sound that seems to be coming from the tranny and I feel a slight vibration. Its sounds like the torque converter is locking and then unlocking or something. I found out if I turn off overdrive its better, but still a problem. I was hoping I could limp the car around like this for awhile(as it wasn't actually affecting driveability yet, just a noise and a vibration) until I could do a 5-spd swap. But just yesterday I started hear a whirring noise coming from the tranny, it just started doing it suddenly. Its a gear noise, similar to a 5spd tranny in reverse. But its doing it in any gear. The sounds and pitch gets louder with RPM's. I pulled over and parked it immediately. Hears the strange thing though. Even when in park and with the car stopped, the sounds occurs. The sound is definitely coming from the tranny though. Its as if the driveplate is rubbing on something, or as if the tranny isn't completely disengaged from the engine even though the car is stopped and in park. Does anybody have any ideas for me? Is it just the torque converter that might need replacing? And if so, is that a simple enough task? I've dropped tranny's a replaced clutches before, so if its not any bigger of a task than that, I should be fine, I hope, but I have no idea what all is involved in removing the torque converter. I've already checked the auto tranny fluid level and its fine and the fluid looks good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the car is a 1990 240sx KA24E.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:22 PM

wow yeah if anyone knows. i am having this problem too but with my beater.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:54 PM

Well I found out it was most likely the planetary gear. I got a used transmission and torque converter that I am dropping in soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by jjspierx
Well I found out it was most likely the planetary gear. I got a used transmission and torque converter that I am dropping in soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
cool......thanks.