Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

cant rev high

Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM

cant rev high

ok. I just finished instlaling my new clutch yesterday, take it for a drive today everything was fine. Was coming home going up a hill and seems to start suffacating. After that I havent been able to get any power whatsoever out of my engine. Im tring to diagnose if this has to do with my clutch install, but when im in neutral revving the car up, if i push the pedal more then 1/3rd of the way down the revs will bounce around 4K. IF i slowly push it in itll get up near the redline, but then once pedal goes further, the revs fall back down to about 4K. Also a couple other probelms that ive noticed today which may or may not be associated with this:
-Exhaust seems to be louder, while examining this I noticed the joint right after the catalytic got red hot while running.
-when in neutral as clutch is engaged a light grinding noise is coming from clutch/tranny area
So i figured that at high flow theres a restriction somewhere, bypassed the fuel filter, thinking it could be clogged, but the problem was still there. Does it sound like there's something plugging the exhaust? maybe in the cat?
Is there some sort of switch or sensor that could have been damaged, or something on the tranny, during clutch install?
I find it very wierd that this happens the day I get my clutch back in, so im thinking it should be related somehow. Just doesnt seem to make sence to me.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

the way i see it, your cat is plugged. It is causing excess backpressure, which creats heat. That grinding noise may be somwhere in the exhaust around the cat, but more than likely is a throwout bearing. That or you messed up on the install. These 2 things have nothing to do with each other though. Anyways, i would suggest takin the cat off and running the car shortly without it, and if it runs better, or you cant see though the cat, its bad. Replace it with a resonator, not a test pipe. If you have emissions tests than poop youre screwed. If not, then the straight pipe will give a loud, raspy, farty noise, the resonator will give a nice toned more pronounced sound. Get this one, the seller is pretty good and ships fairly quickly and is really reliable. Hope this helps you out! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 06-15-2005, 02:19 PM

did you change the pilot beaaring when you did the clutch..and i agree with the cat being clogged, cut it off and get 2.5" straight back to the muff
Old 06-15-2005, 09:44 PM

Thanks alot guys, after i posted I went and took off the exhaust system, it ran fine, so I just pounched out everything that was in the cat and it runs great. Yes I did replace the thrust bearing, I think it may be just a normal noise, I thought it may had to do with the same problem, turns out it doesnt. Thanks alot for the replies though.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

no prob dude thats what we're here for