Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:25 PM

clutch problem

hey guys. i just reacently bought my 1992 240sx se. it was one hell of a deal also. it was $800. but yea every thing is good on it the geard dont grind the a/c works and every thing else is good. but sometimes when im driving it the clutch pedel dont go all the way up. it goes far enough to engage the gear but i have to put my foot under it and pull a inch back. so it is all the way up. i checked the fluid and there all full. idk wat the problem is. so any suggestion is highly thankful. the only reason is that i want it to go up is a sence of my gear is all the way engaged and so i can also use my cruise controle. so yea. im new. with the nissan and i want to learn more.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 PM

Unhappy problems

i feel sad cause i was once new to the nissan seen as well as you are. the problem can be fixed by two answers either you bleed the clutch master cylinder untill you get the preasure back(but be warned just cause the preasure is back it does not mean the problem is fixed you have to drive it around your hood and dont go that far because it might loose press. at the wrong time. and the second answer it could just be the clutch master cylinder. i hope you get back on the roed pronto
Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

actually I had the same problem too, and then 2 weeks after the symptoms started appearing, the clutch went down one day and never came back up. First guess is the clutch MC like os_carlover said, but when I had the problem it was actually my throwout bearing and fork that came off inside the bell housing of the tranny~ if that's you're problem it'll be a bit more complicated to fix than the MC because you're going to have to pull the tranny off... but yea either way don't go too far away from home w/the car until you get it all sorted out.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:41 AM

I've had this problem with my clutch before. When I bought the car actually. They had just installed a new clutch and it was not a stock clutch all the info I got was that it was a racing clutch... not much help there.

Found the button for the cruise control and adjusted it so it stuck back about half an inch closer to the plate on the clutch petal under the dash. No problems since. Been driving for about 5000 miles now with no problem.

If cruise control is the only thing not engaging and you feel the clutch is fine I can post pictures of the switch location of the button for you. Then all you have to do is adjust that.

I hope your clutch is ok and that it is that same problem I was having because if it is it will take you like 5 minutes to locate and fix it.

Last edited by Tanshin; 06-24-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:53 AM

*post in Drivetrain*
Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 PM

your problem doesnt sound like the MC.
sounds more like you have to adjust the pushrod to make the pedal come up a little more so the helper spring has enough tension to pull the pedal all the way up.
look in the FSM for the clutch pedal adjustment procedure.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:08 PM

.....wats a FSM?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Runya
.....wats a FSM?

Factory Service Manual
If you don't have one yet you really should get one. You can download one for your car here:

Nissan Factory Service Manuals

You can also buy one off of ebay if you are on dial up and don't want to download huge file.

I just checked... The FSM for you car is only about 23 megabites. Big but not huge. You could still download it on dialup.. I did.

Last edited by Tanshin; 06-29-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

yup what all those guys said. theres a way to adjust ur pedel hieght also 240,s stock generally have a low clutch pedel. Its not suppose to stay on the floot and its not suppose to grab grab at the top unless u want it to, but if u have a driving style like me where your foot never leaves the pedle, you have to adjust it so there is dead space and ur not riding the clutch.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:44 AM

moved to "Drivetrain"
Old 07-01-2005, 10:24 AM

I'm new to the Nissan world also and I just got my '90 240sx this week. When I got the car the clutch pedal had a little slack in it before any resistance could be felt, but the actual clutch worked fine once it engaged.

This morning the pedal went almost all the way to the floor before any resistance and I could barely get into gear. I got it in and started moving just fine, but I couldn't get the clutch to engage to go into any other gear.

I hope it's just an adjustment issue, there seemed to be plenty of fluid in the resevoir and the clutch held once I got into gear (even in higher gears that I got into by rev-matching).

Thanks for the info and the link to the FSM. I'll check it and let you know what I find so maybe it will help others.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:25 AM

Turns out that it was my master cylinder. It was bad bad bad... leaking fluid into the cabin. I replaced it with one from autozone ($20) and now all is good.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:38 PM

I also just bought a 240sx and the clutch is all the way on the floor, when you bring it back up it just clicks back down to the floor. Almost like a pocket knife effect it snaps back down to the floor. The car starts but you can't get it into gear, you can't even force it. I figured it is the clutch master cylinder and have one on order and am picking it up tomorrow morning. Figured it could also be air in the line. I don't really know how to do any of this since this car is new to me but I am pretty fond of car mechanics. So if anyone could provide a walkthrough for either and their imput on what might be wrong that would be awsome.