Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

horrible clutch/transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 10:03 PM

horrible clutch/transmission problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of days ago my car wasn't shifting well at all. It seemed like my clutch wasn't full engaging to shift with, but it grabbed just fine. I figured it was the slave cylinder, so i went and replaced it. I bled the lines with my friends, but how did you guys put pressure back into the system? We spent 2 hrs just pumping the ***king clutch pedal. Anyways.. it was shifting OK, but twice today i lost pressure from cold start to the point where shifting was impossible, and god i hate grinding my babys gears :*(. the second time, the clutch even when let go all the way, wasnt grabbing. couple minutes later, i would regain pressure, but not all the way, my pedal still has a bit more than an inch of free play. all the lines are tightened, the clutch was bled properly ( i think) maybe you guys can give me the bleeding procedure just in case? i have a 92 240sx with KA24DE. how do i regain pressure in the system???

~Sunrise
Old 05-04-2004, 08:14 AM

its much like bleeding a brake system.

pump slowly a few times and hold the pedal, while someone underneath cracks the valve on the SLAVE cylinder, and all the air bubbles come out. keep repeating this until all the bubbles are out and a solid flow of fluid squirts out. then tighten it. make darn sure that the master cylinder never runs empty, or you are screwed.

SEARCH and I'm sure you can find a better description, I just woke up so I wouldnt trust that 100%...
Old 05-04-2004, 05:27 PM

i paid a guy $60 to re-bleed the system and adjust my clutch pedal, i guess all in all not too bad. well.. the master cylinder did go dry.. lol.. but somehow it survived? =) Works good now, just not perfect yet.. maybe my master clutch cylinder is starting to go.

~Sunrise
Old 05-05-2004, 07:35 AM

if the master goes dry, its not going to explode or anything, it'll just pull more air into the system and you'll be in an endless process.

and give it a little time to firm up, a hydraulic system in theory is self adjusting, so the more you drive it the better it'll get.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:49 PM

guys i have a question, and need your advice, i just bought a 240 and i need to change the whole engine, but the transmission is automatic ..... anyways i wanted to know how much it would cost to get the engine and change the transmission to manual..... is taht even worth doing, or schould i just keep the automatic transmission.... need help dont know whatt to do ...... give me some advice pllzzzz .... thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 05:00 PM

do a search on here, and search online. there are a lot of of shops that will do the conversion when they put an engine in. and I'm quite sure its been covered a lot on here.

check out www.xatracing.com for an idea of what I'm talking about. and the 'worthiness' of changing the tranny is up to you, how much do you want the manual tranny? how much is it going to cost? those are things you'll have to find out and decide.

and where in chicago are you?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:14 PM

yes i am in chicago, and in love with 240 .... i cant live wihtout the manual tranny...... anyways thanks for the info.....
Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 PM

oo yea and can you give me any shops in chicago that would do that.... thanks a lot again
Old 05-07-2004, 02:44 PM

no clue, my girlfriend is from the windy city, so I know the area pretty well... but not that well. do a search on here though, I know I saw a listing for a shop in chicago a while back.