Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

'double clutching'

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 03:23 PM

'double clutching'

I have a friend who is CONVINCED that double clutching his car makes it go faster... he drives a neon last I checked. now correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt mankind invent synchronized transmissions to eliminate the need for double clutching? my father tells me that double clutching was only needed with older trannies ( really old cars, old semi's, older trucks) because you had to clutch out of the gear you were in to get into neutral and then clutch into the gear you wanted, while matching the engines rpm to the gear... like if you wanted to downshift, you clutch pull the stick out of gear, let go of the clutch so everything could match up, clutch again and rev the engine and shift down and release the clutch.

so I did some homework and found this out: once you are moving in any modern manual shift car, you can shift without using the clutch. if you are shifting up, just pull back on it until it goes in gear with the revs down, and if you are shifting down, pull it into neutral and rev the engine while pulling the stick (or pushing) it into the gear spot you want until it 'syncs up' and goes into gear. no grinding, no weird noises - just click.

so is double clutching really necessary in anything besides an old old vehicle? or is it just another of the lame *** byproducts of fast and furious?

personally I think my friend just wastes his time pumping on the clutch pedal and burns his clutch, hi revving in between every gear.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

HE drives a NEON. Come on now.

No seriously, he's wasting precious time double-clutching. And you're right - you can shift without the clutch, but it's tricky.

BUT THEN AGAIN if he's the FnF type, let him double clutch forever. You'll always beat him in a race
Old 03-21-2004, 11:46 PM

yup its a waste of time i asked my uncle about this and he also said it was for older cars and semi's. I was able to shift with out the clutch with both my 240's its around 2900 to about 3500 rpm without the grinding of the gears or messing them up and remenber to let off the gas when doing so. Everytime there is someone that says that u cant switch gears with out the clutch i tell them i can and they look at me like im full of it so now i dont even say anything because in the long run i dont gain anything out of it. also is it posible to switch into first with out the clutch thats the only thing i dont know if u can do or if it is even posible?

Last edited by Hollowpoint; 03-21-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Hollowpoint
yup its a waste of time i asked my uncle about this and he also said it was for older cars and semi's. I was able to shift with out the clutch with both my 240's its around 2900 to about 3500 rpm without the grinding of the gears or messing them up and remenber to let off the gas when doing so. Everytime there is someone that says that u cant switch gears with out the clutch i tell them i can and they look at me like im full of it so now i dont even say anything because in the long run i dont gain anything out of it. also is it posible to switch into first with out the clutch thats the only thing i dont know if u can do or if it is even posible?
It is possible if you're rolling but you're gonna get a big jolt when it engages... as for starting from a standstill, most likely when it goes into first gear it'll stall since that's a bigger jolt to the tranny
Old 03-22-2004, 09:56 AM

ya thats what i thought wont that mess up my tranny