Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

My transmission...what is it thinking???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:20 AM

My transmission...what is it thinking???

ok...when im driving my jeep...sorry its off the subject...its an automatic...in order to shift gears i have to let off the gas and get back on it...and if i dont do this, it sounds like its about to blow up because the rpm's are going so high.

If any of you have any info...please hook me up.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:40 PM

Warning: what follows is a lot of rambling, If yer bored scroll down.
A lot of automatic transmissions work off of engine vacuum sense when to shift gears. As far as I understand it (I aint no authority, dis is only what i heard) as the engine revs the vacuum increases. Depending on the how hard ya step on the throttle, when the engine hits a pre-set vacuum it shifts. When you let off the gas, the vacuum level suddenly increases and the trans shifts to the next higher gear early (or late in yer case). I used to short shift my old suburban that way to save gas. The vacuum pre-set is sposed to be proportional to throttle position. I.E. when ya really stand on the gas the trans shifts at a higher vacuum(rpm) than when yer grandma drivin. Sounds like whatever is reading the throttle is not workin right (T.P.I?) and its only shifting based on vacuum.

Cliffs notes: Yer trans may be partially fooked. Since its still shiftin either keep doing what yer doing until something else goes wrong (torque converter, slipping...) or get it looked at. Auto sucks!
Old 11-12-2003, 04:42 PM

It sounds somewhat like what was wrong in my old automatic altima. It would take forever to shift into the next gear. When I had it checked out they said I would need a new tranny. I dunno about your case though. This happened after I let my friend drive it and he did a neutral drop, I also lost reverse after he did it. Like Ligouri said automatics suck
Old 12-03-2003, 03:34 PM

It sounds like ur tranny is slipping on ur jeep nos.
I had a similar problem with my cadillac it would shift from first to second fine but from there on i would have to let off the pedal or play around with it cause it rev to high. I used some lucas tranny fix fluid but it didn't help much cause it was f*****.
Just do a 350 swap with a new tranny lol.
Oh by the way jeeps also rock I used to off-road with mine
Old 12-11-2003, 05:52 AM

my 1977 jeep j10 had the same problem for a long *** time. before I could ever get it fixed however the motor went bad so I got a new engine and tranny and trasfer case.

I think it's one of the more common of jeeps problems cuase I know many who have had it happen. the good news is that I don't think it's all that costly of a fix, at least in terms of a transmition problem, you probably shouldn't worry about it unless it starts getting real bad and then you might as well get it fixed. no use getting frustrated and inconvenienced if it is somthing that can be fixed in like and hour or two
Old 12-17-2003, 07:04 AM

haha...sorry i left this thred b/c noone would reply...well...i had a 360 AMC in my CJ7 but last night i just......finished my 401 AMC engine swap..havent drove it yet...im still checking everything....i g2g ill post more info on this later....c-ya
Old 12-30-2003, 06:02 AM

sorry bout the slip...ive been busy during the holidays...well since the 401 is in...the transmission works perfect...i have no clue how...well the 401 doesnt have as much get-up-and-go as the 360 had....because the 360 came with some kind of cam that has like loads of torque...i have no idea what kind it is...i got a brand new edelbrock performance cam im gonna put in the 401 when i get it broke in really good...im sure it qould kill the 360 then....

oh yea...i love to go offroading my my jeep drifting may be better...ill find out in january...ill be 16