Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

new clutch is a bad one

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:17 PM

new clutch is a bad one

ok first off let me start with i really hate taking my car to places to have stuff done to it. i'm no car mechanic but i just like to do it myself, it usually takes a really long time but eventually i get it somewhat right. except for this time when i needed it done quickly. right now all i have to drive is my 240. clutch started slipping in it. i called alot of places found somewhere to do it for 500. well it was ok when i left the place but tonight it feels just like it did. pedal is at the very top clutch does not give a good grab. no way does it feel new. tomorrow i am going down to the place to see what the hell is going on!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

dont tell me the place didnt do anything!!
It probally needs to be bled.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, bleed it again~ also check to see how many times the flywheel was re-surfaced (oem designed for only once)
Old 03-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Your clutch is emo, it wants a bleed.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:55 AM

ok let me fill you in on whats going on. took it back to the place on friday morning. on the way their i was on the highway got on it and the clutch slipped!!! i was pissed, i barely made it to the shop. and then the huge discussion started with the guy telling me that i must have been driving to hard (which i didn't) and then he told me that he test drove it and it was fine BUT WHEN HE REALLY GOT ON IT TO GO THROUGH GEARS IT DID SLIP A LITTLE BIT!!!! this is when i was like wtf? its suppose to be a new clutch it should not do that. then his reply was it would be fine with normal driving. soooo.... according to him all new parts was put in, i asked to see the old ones and he showed them to me (hell could have been from a differnt car), finally we agreed that he would check it out, so i dropped it off friday morning didnt hear anything all day, called them and they told me it was half apart, then today they still didn't do ****. monday im not sure what to do????

but oh yea then he said that they didn't bleed it so they would do that this time

funny i really should have just done it myself. its taking them a week to do it and they ****ed up. i know i would run into some problems and it might take me a while to get it done, but at least when it wasn't right the only person i could blame would be myself, plus i would have had about 300 in labor in my pocket still

and sorry about the long post
Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

wait wait wait... let me make sure im understanding whats goin on here. your clutch was slipping correct? okay so if what i know about a clutch system is correct, having air in the system (which would require you to bleed it) causes you NOT to be able to DISengage the clutch. It should ride on the flywheel correctly if i understand the mechanics of it. If you had air in the system, it would be hard to get it into gear. That IS if im understanding the mechanical aspects of the clutch system.
Your problem sounds more like a weak pressure plate, not-so-smooth flywheel surface, or something wrong with the release fork.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 PM

But!

If the master cylinder was going bad, it might not release fully, causing pressure to stay on the throw out bearing, possibly enough to let the clutch slip under power.

I only know this because it happened in one of my 1st gen Rx-7s... drove me buggy till I figured out it was bad.

YMMV, 'cause it only fails that way with a specific type of MC, but it's a possibility.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

um. Ive never heard of that problem. might be just a mazda thing. Every problem ive ehard of with a MC is leaking or just failing altogether, in either case it would stop you from disengaging.

I love constructive debates. You always learn something new... just as long as its in good nature.