Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Opinions on Aluminum Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 AM

Opinions on Aluminum Driveshaft

I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone with one and what they think about it. I know it would reducing rotating mass and help with throttle responce and would be in theory be good but I want to know about real life use of this.

Do you think it would be benefitial to get this in the long run, or stick with the stock 2 piece steel driveshaft? The aluminum driveshaft is rated around 800hp and is 1 piece, so it sounds like it is a little more solid than the stock one as well as being lighter weight.

http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2mot...0aldr8924.html

Just trying to find peoples opinions about this.

Thanks for any information any of you have about this.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member

what do you plan to do with your car? if you aren't going into motorsports it would be a waste of money.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Yeah right now my car is for Drifting and Autocross as well as a daily driver, I have friends who go to the drag strip so I go with them every once in awhile, thats really not my thing though i like to challenge myself as a driver not go in a straight line as fast as I can go. But hey to each there own.

I am more curious about it right now than actually considering buying it. I might buy it if I feel i feel it would be a good investment in the long run. Was just wondering if people thought it would be an ok replacment for the stock driveshaft durability wise, and if people thought the cost/performance was worth it too. It nothing I am planning on running out and buying right away anyways like I said I was more curious about it.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

it'll help you get your revs up quicker... it may give you a little less tq loss too. (better dyno number)
Old 09-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

I dunno, my mechanic mentioned the alum. d-shaft to me too. He said that it actually doesn't cost that much. Can't remember the figure he quoted me though...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

a new stock one vs. an aluminum one in terms of price ain't much different... in terms of weight it is way different.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:09 AM

Aluminum drive shafts are great. I all ready have an aluminum fly wheel. The driveshafts are stronger than I thought and they don't flex, and stretch. Supposedly they only weigh 11lb.s, which is lighter than the 27lb.s that originally come from the 240sx drive shaft. It will make wire tires skirt upto 3rd gear for every upshift you make. Dropping the rotational mass, from the degredated drive train will also add a HP or 2 to the wheels....
Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 PM

It's not as impressive by itself on the Butt Dyno, But it is a Great Supporting Mod! If you can get a Deal do it.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

I've never heard of anybody swapping out a driveshaft when doing an SR swap. I'm assuming that driveshafts of the same dimension can be used on either the KA or the SR. Is this correct?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:02 PM

Yes.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

yes in a sense of manual trans to manual trans.
i went from auto to manual so i had to buy a manual drive shaft to complete the swap
Old 09-22-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Watashi wa Sake
Yeah right now my car is for Drifting and Autocross as well as a daily driver, I have friends who go to the drag strip so I go with them every once in awhile, thats really not my thing though i like to challenge myself as a driver not go in a straight line as fast as I can go. But hey to each there own.

I am more curious about it right now than actually considering buying it. I might buy it if I feel i feel it would be a good investment in the long run. Was just wondering if people thought it would be an ok replacment for the stock driveshaft durability wise, and if people thought the cost/performance was worth it too. It nothing I am planning on running out and buying right away anyways like I said I was more curious about it.
no offense but how many times have you been to the strip? It takes much talent to drag...go to a local battle of imports or something like that and you will see 80% bad launches bad shifting almost hitting walls (almost hittin walls while burning out LOL). ETC ... just dont say its not hard to go in a strait line it may not be challenge to do but a challenge to do correctly...

Last edited by akinaspeedstar1; 09-22-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

I believe phase2 sells one piece aluminum driveshafts.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by akinaspeedstar1
no offense but how many times have you been to the strip? It takes much talent to drag...go to a local battle of imports or something like that and you will see 80% bad launches bad shifting almost hitting walls (almost hittin walls while burning out LOL). ETC ... just dont say its not hard to go in a strait line it may not be challenge to do but a challenge to do correctly...
it's not rocket science launching a daily driver 240sx

As for the aluminum driveshaft, I suppose it would be a good upgrade later down the line... like way down the line after most of the other stuff on the car has been addressed already... a stockish 240sx wouldn't really need an aluminum driveshaft (yet) as opposed to spending that money on hter things like lightweight flywheel, motor/tranny mounts, etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Banned

raine is correct, aluminum driveshaft is not really NEEDED unless theres other mods already done to the motor. lightweight flywheel/driveshaft combination is basically gonna make your car's revs rise AND fall real quick. ...BUT remember, the less rotating mass, the more precise your "clutch skills" have to be. gripping point is gonna come up real quick. anyways. good luck.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Aluminum Driveshaft