Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Ordered my Spec Stage 3 clutch today

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up Ordered my Spec Stage 3 clutch today

i will you guys know how it turns out.

Here are the specs again on the clutch for those who are interested.

SPEC (Star Performance Engineered Clutches) Stage 3 Clutch Kit for Nissan S13/S14 SR20DET. This is a great alternative to the similar ACT HD clutch. SPEC increases the clamping force of the pressure plate and uses a Carbon or ceramic friction surface on the disc hold more power, yet maintain close to the same street manners as a full faced organic disc. Uses 4 or 6 puck SPRUNG hub clutch disc. This clutch kit is designed to hold up to 450 ft/lbs or torque! This is the ultimate street/strip clutch kit. This is a complete kit including high clamp pressure plate, throw out bearing, and clutch alignment tool.

I am receiving the 6 puck variety

Old 10-28-2003, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

hey man , i am checking what clutch to get for my sr... i need something that will hold around 700 tq/hp ... i over upgraded and plan on finishing the car as soon as i get my ECU back from jim wolf.... l let me know asap - thanks
Old 10-29-2003, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

I had a spec stage II fail on me and I have 150 hp. I loved the clamping and the pedal feel but it sucked that it fragged out and also killed my 1, 2, and 3rd gear synchros.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:12 AM

hey stanbo i seem to be running into you everywhere now that im frequent to the posts... do u have any suggestions for a clutch that will handle my soon to be overpowering , expensive obsession?

aim SN : teccabest
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

You have to sit down and think. If I am putting out pro drag/drift/track power then I must use something like what they are.

I am going to be putting out 270 - 330 whp. I am going for the Exedy Single Plate.

There is also Ogura, HKS, cusco, project m, and others.

Win on sunday buy on monday. If it works at the track it will be fine for me.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:42 PM

heh... my spec S3 clutch blew up on me at the last autox. it was really my fault though. autocross, with a few short sweepers that I was maxing 2nd gear out on (almost 70mph) just sitting on the rev limiter. luckily the carnage was held to within the pressure plate. unfortunately i'm getting a new one next week (this time a 6 puck)..... guess i'll never learn.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AceInHole
heh... my spec S3 clutch blew up on me at the last autox. it was really my fault though. autocross, with a few short sweepers that I was maxing 2nd gear out on (almost 70mph) just sitting on the rev limiter. luckily the carnage was held to within the pressure plate. unfortunately i'm getting a new one next week (this time a 6 puck)..... guess i'll never learn.
See the sprung center on mine failed due to "heat warp". The springs fell out and got squared.

Now how is getting a 6 puck going to help you?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:31 PM

it's not gonna be any better in terms of strength, really. I'm getting the 6 puck because all the problems I've heard of on the S3 were related to the 4 puck. in addition, i'm only getting another SPEC cause the PP is still decent and the ACT Street slips too much. (so i'm cheap and can't con a sponsor into giving away a better clutch).

Really, all I gotta do is learn to shift into 3rd on courses that are over 70mph. J30 gearing + oversized tires isn't tall enough I guess.....

Mine failed 'cause I was bashing the sprung center going from full throttle to rev limiter cutting spark causing full engine braking..... and repeating that cycle like a jackhammer on the clutch for extended amounts of time. I've seen ACT un-sprung clutches do the same (pop rivets), so I'm fairly sure it was just gross negligence on my part, although if I could find a clutch that could handle it.... I'd prolly be better off .
Old 10-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

The exedy I am looking at has a center disk that is supposed to take care of the heat warp problem.

I don't know about flagrant abuse though