Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

quick question on LSD

Old 06-02-2006, 05:37 AM

quick question on LSD

Hey guys I have a S14 with an open diff. I am going to buy a LSD from japan and wanted to know a few things.

for the nismo LSD which 240sx uses the 5bolt and which one uses the 6 bolt. Does the S14 use the 6 bolt?@or is it AT or MT ?

and what is the difference in aftermarket LSD from a car with an open diff and one with the VLSD?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 PM

there is no lsd in a car with an open diff. have you tried searching?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:36 AM

do you mean whats the difference between an lsd, vlsd and an open diff? w/e, if thats not your question, too fricken badd. Open diff means when one of the rear wheels starts slipping and losing traction, all of the power goin to the rear is transfered to the wheel with traction, which helps prevent spinouts and traction loss all together. An LSD, or limited slip differential senses when a tire is losing traction, and locks both rear wheels instantly, making them both spin with the engine's power...this setup is optimum for drifting. A VLSD is similar to an LSD, and it stands for Viscous Limited Slip Differential. A VLSD has a viscous fluid within the differential, which when it senses wheel slippage, the friction makes the fluid really gooey, which in turn locks both rear wheels into spinning with the engine's power. But, due to the fact that it takes extra time and effort to lock the damn thing up, an LSD is preffered over a VLSD by most for drifting.

I'm hyper, and i dont know if this had anything to do with what you asked, but, its pretty interesting...huh?

Last edited by ka-tfresh; 06-09-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by ka-tfresh
do you mean whats the difference between an lsd, vlsd and an open diff? w/e, if thats not your question, too fricken badd. Open diff means when one of the rear wheels starts slipping and losing traction, all of the power goin to the rear is transfered to the wheel with traction, which helps prevent spinouts and traction loss all together. An LSD, or limited slip differential senses when a tire is losing traction, and locks both rear wheels instantly, making them both spin with the engine's power...this setup is optimum for drifting. A VLSD is similar to an LSD, and it stands for Viscous Limited Slip Differential. A VLSD has a viscous fluid within the differential, which when it senses wheel slippage, the friction makes the fluid really gooey, which in turn locks both rear wheels into spinning with the engine's power. But, due to the fact that it takes extra time and effort to lock the damn thing up, an LSD is preffered over a VLSD by most for drifting.

I'm hyper, and i dont know if this had anything to do with what you asked, but, its pretty interesting...huh?
Thats almost correct, but they're are several different types of clutch type LSD's which you refer to just as LSD's. There is 1-way, 1.5-way, and 2-way, which all have different characteristics. There is Viscous Limited Slip Differential, which you mentioned. There is also HLSD, or Helical Limited Slip Differential.

Moved to the "Drivetrain" section.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:24 PM

i didnt want to get into any more detail than i already had, and frankly, i just forgot all about that crap....ive only heard hlsd once....and i dont know ****about it

i feel special to have had the word "correct" in a reply from me by THE S13240 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'll take another shot in the dark

2 way=best for drifting, locks fully while accelerating and braking
1.5 way= best for like auto x n stuff, locks kinda partially while braking and accelerating
1 way=drag racing?, locks while accelerating

Last edited by ka-tfresh; 06-10-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Re: quick question on LSD

Originally posted by S13.5silvia
Hey guys I have a S14 with an open diff. I am going to buy a LSD from japan and wanted to know a few things.
It wont work, if its from japan.

for the nismo LSD which 240sx uses the 5bolt and which one uses the 6 bolt. Does the S14 use the 6 bolt?@or is it AT or MT ?
5 or 6 bolt varied its was luck of the draw. Japan got both, america got 6 bolt. Has nothing to do with AT or MT.

and what is the difference in aftermarket LSD from a car with an open diff and one with the VLSD?
The only difference is the out put shafts. VLSD have shorter shafts than Open diff.

A clutch type is a clutch type.