Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Soft Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 PM

Unhappy Soft Clutch Pedal

I really need some advise on this issue, I have searched this forum before posting this and it has helped but still could use some additional info. I just recently(about a week and a half ago) replaced my clutch(the whole kit). I replaced this because I just had bought the car and didn't notice it was an issue until I drove the car about 30 or in stop and go traffic. The clutch would then start to slip, seemed like it was a heat problem because it would be fine after the car sat for a while. Well, after relizing that I didn't re-adjust the cluck pedal after installing the new clutch, I and a friend attempted to do so. We spend alot of time on bleeding and adjusting to the books spec. We could never get any pressure out of the pedal, so I replaced the Master Cylinder and started just shotgunning the adjustment. As of right now the clutch pedal has some presure from about halfway down onto the floor. The Clutch pedal disengages the clutch right about the floor and reengages right as you leave the floor when you raise the pedal. This is ok, however I would like to have the pedal come up a little bit more before engaging, the main problem with it being set up this way is that the pendal has a hard time raising back up once my foot is off of it. It will come about half way up and sometimes make it. It's almost like the spring return is worn out, is this possible?? I can adjust the pedal so that it has a strong return but the the slave cylinder won't retract once the pedal is released (thus causing it to slip). Is this just a **** to adjust or is there a problem.....
Old 05-12-2005, 01:40 PM

wow..sounds like you replaced the master cylinder but did you replace the slave cylinder if you forgot I would get a new one and then bleed the system again!!! and why the hell are you adjusting the clutch pedal it doesn't need to be unless it comes to like the very last thing to do. i swapped in a new clutch kit, master and slave cylinder blead my system and everyting was fine.. i didn't even mess around with the clutch pedal ajustments!

Last edited by ProjectMy240; 05-12-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Well I didn't want to adjust the clutch pedal and didn't when I installed the kit, however the thing started slipping because the slave cylinder would presure up and not retract correctly. So by re-adjusting the pedal, the slave now will retract......it's like there is a specific place that the master cylinder has to be retracted to before the hydralic pressure will bleed off. Otherwise as you pump the pedal in stop and go traffic, it does nothing but keep the slave presured thus causing slipping eventually. However, this might be beside the point, shouldn't the pedal retract somewhat on it's own by way of the spring return?? The last time i had a clutch was in an S-10 and it was solid to push, same in an '86 mustang I had, this one is just really soft and not retracting correctly. By the way, the car has over 150,000 miles on it and it's a '91.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 PM

is it getting some what better now with the new cylinders??? you may need to do the little trick thingy with that box on the frame.. I'll explain later if I can find the link again
Old 05-12-2005, 03:46 PM

yeah I can't find the link anymore but its like called this loop/damper system. I did mine a while ago can't tell ya how I did because I don't remember. lol so I"m gonna have to say..... GO SEARCH ON IT FOR THE LOOP/DAMPER SYSTEM.

Last edited by ProjectMy240; 05-12-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:57 PM

hehehe hey... your lucky i'm bored or else I wouldn't of got this for you....http://www.zeroyon.com/index/content/view/32/47/

read it, do it, bleed it again, then enjoy it!!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Mine engaged right off the floor until i changed the free play. Don't know if that's any help but have you tried that? Free play and pedal height are two different things.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Thanks all for your help!! I think I got it licked! I just kept adjusting the pedal and freeplay adjustments and it's starting to feel pretty good. The pedal is retracting now and still feels a little soft but I think once I replace the slave cylinder it should be set, I wouldn't touch it but, I noticed today that there is a major gray cloud that has shown up in the master and the slave has gray looking metal all over were the boot is so I think it is dying.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:27 PM

nice. Just drive it around for a couple of days and see if your freeplay is set. Mine wasn't and i couldn't fully engage in gears so i had to readjust it twice for more freeplay. Just something to keep an eye out for.