Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Tech support please..

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 PM

Question Tech support please..

Ok before HyJynx goes and bites my head off, I HAVE SEARCHED!!!! lol j/k

Technical Assistance ONLY Please..

Anyway, look here is my position. My parents bought me a 95 Zenki 5spd with 126k miles on it last year. It was a peice of ****. But to make a long story short I got pissed off and tired of fixing it, so they agreed that if I paid the difference in price they would buy me a 97 Kouki Automatic with 46k miles on it, but the condition was that I had to sell the original Zenki.

Well I WANT a 5speed so I was thinking about just switching the two completely (doing TWO tranny swaps.. lol) Now with that preliminary info done, here is my question(s).

Can I just SWITCH each tranny for each car? Meaning take all of the manual tranny parts from my *1995* put them in my *1997*, and then take the *1997* Auto tranny and bolt it right into the *1995* car?? Will all the wiring PLUG STRAIGHT IN? WIll the ECU's be compatable with each car?? Will my guages all be accurate for both cars?? Pretty much please tell me what won't work??

I have found ALOT of info, but still I cannot find out if switching DIFFENT model years with their appropriate trasmissions with each other will work. I DO need to sell the Zenki, so just taking the parts and junking it is not possible, each needs to be working..

I am not making much money so you have to please excuse my cautiousness. I am not an uneducated person, so don't treat me like one. Any help is greatly appreciated, and understand I am in the business of LEARNING, if you don't want to take the time to help me understand then please don't bother posting in this thread. Again I appreciate all of your time!!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

I know one thing, the ECUs will NOT be compatiable. All cars after 96 have OBD-II ECUs, so since you have a 95 and its OBD-I they wont be compatiable. BTW OBD system is for emissions.

As for the rest, im not 100% exactly sure, but i dont think they will be compatiable. Dont know if the pressure lines and clutch master cylinder will fit in correctly, you can mod the wiring to fit. Driveshaft should work. Again im not 100% sure, but just trying to throw some info out there.

And thanks for Searching hehe
Old 01-28-2004, 09:54 PM

Thanks man, that kinda stuff is never stated in the FAQ, how-to's, or any other places i've found. appreciate it!!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

the trannies bolt up, you'd have to swap flywheels and stuff.
the rest of the plumbing will bolt in just fine.
if you dont have to sell the 95 first then i would just swap ecu's real quick to see how the cars run.
you will probaly have to swap driveshafts though.
pretty plug and play in my opinion.
i would tackle it
Old 01-28-2004, 10:56 PM

Yea, I pretty much KNOW all of the parts I would need from reading so many write ups on swaps, but naturally it's the electronics that always end up biting people in the a$$, thats where my concern lies.. I really want to do it, but it's better to do it the right way.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

The wiring should be much of a problem, you can always do a little splicing here in there if they dont exactly match up