Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

ut oh...

Old 03-29-2006, 12:58 AM

ut oh...

me and my friend just finished up his car. we put the whole rear differential and axles from a 93 infiniti j30 into his 1990 240. but we ran into a problem. after swapping the old 240 pumpkin cover onto the j30 one and putting it in the car, we started torqueing down all the bolts according to a guide on **********

well for the bolts holding the differential cover to the crossmember, it said 70-80 ft lbs. but on the guide, they had 2 big bolts holding on the pumpkin and we have 4 small ones. so not thinking, we started torqing those 4 to 75. and what do you know, it starts to feel like its not getting tight anymore, but looser. we stripped one of the ******* bolts

so anyway we said **** it and cleaned up and went out to test her out... and damn its nice. with a fresh batch of royal purple in an lsd from an automatic old lady car, that **** is SMOOVE! plus now his car does donuts

but what i really want to know is what are the torque specs for those 4 bolts holding the differential to the crossmember. theyre obviously different from the 240's with only 2 bolts...

itll hold for a while but basically he'll has to get a new diff cover sooner or later
Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Check an FSM for the right specs
Old 04-01-2006, 08:50 PM

yea i found out the specs and theyre about half of what we thought they were...

im not worried about it anymore tho... thanks

Search this Thread