Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Weld my diff?????

Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 PM

Weld my diff?????

i just bought a set of wheels for my 240 (002's) and other small upgrades, and kind of tight on my budget, but now decided to go ahead and get both of my wheels spinning, I use the 240 for everyday driving, now my question is: is a welded diff. that bad? well to use for everyday driving? sure, hell yes ill be drifting, but driving in streets everyday. Any helpful advice will be appriciated. thx!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Contributing Member

It's not that bad, you just have to get used to it ticking and clunking and hopping. Not a big deal if you are dedicated to sliding, soon enough that clunking from the rear will be natural, like breathing in air . Some people have said that their turning radius has worsened, mine however hasn't because my inner wheel just hops to catch up with the outer wheel since they both spin at the same rate. It's not a big deal dealing with it everyday to me, people might look at you funny thinking theres something wrong with your car when you are in a parking lot, and your friends/family will question your car, but hey, function>form(and how it sounds)
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

I like it, i like it.. and i also like the looks of horror that i get in the parklots lol.... Old lady says " Sunny, you should not be chirping tires in the lot Eh" Im like " Grand Ma, this is a drift car, im allowed to do so Ma'am,...... Happy Mothers Day"
Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Club240 Staff

I can't stand welded diffs. I know a lot of people that dont mind them, but it makes the car so unpleasabt for me. The very low speed stuff is the biggest anoyance, but also when you are trying to corner at speed (not drift), it push the car in a straight line making it harder to turn in. On a full race car, you can do thingss to help this, but on a street car, I don't like it. Then again...I'm not a drifter.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:10 PM

Withe the diff welded, when cornering will it want to kick the tail out?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

no bro.. you have to make that kick out.. i have driven in snow and rain with my diff. just use proper throttle control meaning no sudden shocks to the drive-train making the wheels wanna spin fast
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Club240 Staff

Yeah...agreed. It doesnt kick the tail unless you upset the balance. Because both rear wheels want to keep moving in the same direction (forward), it has a bigger impact on the front of the car then the rear. It works against the steering of the car. That is untill you break it loose. Once you break it loose, a locked or welded diff is more predictable in a slide
Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

yea when i did mine a while back i notice understeer, but i have learned to cope with it.. but like Charles said, when you are sideway, you have so much control.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

do it! ive never driver one but i have riden in one a couple times. if you can deal with the noise and tire screeching during corning its not bad at all. better for drifting, rear tires are locked at all times. i plan on doing it in the future. youve heard of shock drifting right?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:36 AM

actually i have, but dont know where its at. If its in So. Cal. im there! if not then ill just have to look somewhere near here. And thx to all...with all this descriptions, i can feel the welded diff already. i actually can visualize the physics of it...thx!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drowzydrifter View Post
actually i have, but dont know where its at. If its in So. Cal. im there! if not then ill just have to look somewhere near here. And thx to all...with all this descriptions, i can feel the welded diff already. i actually can visualize the physics of it...thx!
SDP is located in Santa Clara up here in norcal I got my diff welded there and it hasn't given me any problems, I love it. I actually like hearing the subtle chirp noises turning at low speeds, every time it happens it reminds me of why I love this POS.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

had it loved it. its amazing.

GET IT. if its to much for you your a ***** hahaha