Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

180sx - 1JZGTE Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:55 PM

180sx - 1JZGTE Conversion

for some reason, my pics havent shown up, so if u want to check the original thread out, follow this link... http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...owtopic=126810

hey guys.. this is going to be a pretty long post, but should be worth it... it'll take me a few hours to put togher.. cause im at work at the moment... enjoy..

back in february, i had a minor rear ender with an Audi.. sorted that out no probs, but left my 180 in a fairly average state of repair.

PIC 1
PIC 2

this led to a brain fart, to put a 1JZ into the 180.. i toyed with the idea of an RB conversion, but the 1J i picked up, was something i was not going to be able to knock back... also, i wanted something different.
so out came the SR and the engine mount designing started... tho first i needed to sort out some panel beating issues

PIC 3
PIC 4

then i needed a new front end as mine was well and truly farked

PIC5

tho it wasnt a great fit to start with... so more panel beating on my weekends

PIC 6

once that was sorted.. time to make engine mounts and test fit with the new front end... sorry guys, no pics of the mounts... they r a secret

PIC 7
PIC 8 - new front end and panels
PIC 9 - testing engine height with quarter panels
PIC 10

once the engine mounts seemed to be sorted, next thing was the power steering lines. i didnt want to have to modify anything and luckily the toyota power steering pump is pretty much in the same place as the nissan SR pump, so the reservoir lines met up ok, but i had to make some mods to my engine mounts, to get the lines around them into the steering rack... i then dropped the engine back in (literally too.. dropped the **** instead of stopping the crane.. bent the fu ck out of all the panel beating i did the week before ) no biggy, sorted that out and the engine sat nicely over the steering rack and the power steering lines r not interfered with at all... the only issue, which will easily be fixed is the hose from the pump to the steel lines is too long, so needs to be shortened by about 10cm

the radiator was a bit of a problem.. altho i had a fair bit of room between the pulley and where the radiator would sit, i didnt have any room for fans.. so i sourced a radiator from A.R.E and had the boys at Natrad in Phillip whack some 13in fans on front side, so as to have room on the engine side for the air to flow past the engine and not create an air block...
the fans hang over the edge by a little, so Ben made some blanks up to stop air flowing thru the over hang.. this over hang was also a problem as now the width is greater than what the original radiator gap is (gap between the head light supports). no problem there.. angle grinder and steel malet persuaded everything to fit and it went in nicely... well, width wise.. vertically tho, it was not sitting in the normal holes underneith.. so i cut the little plastic lugs off, so the bottom tank was flat and welded a bracket on the chassis cross rail, to stop it moving forward and back... A.R.E provided some new saddles, so all movement is now eliminated.

PIC 11

the sump was a big issue.. the 1JZ has 3 sump setups... forward, mid and rear - depending on the car u get the engine from.. soarers r generally mid/rear sumps and supras r front sumps... i had a mid sump, so that sat nicely on the cross member and was totally useless.. i sourced a front sump and changed it all over.. in the meantime, it was a good opportunity to see how the crank looked.

PIC 12

the gear box sits nicely in the trans tunel, altho, it is too short and the shifter needs to be extended so i can reach it.

new tail shaft needs to be made up - single piece should hold the power.

brakes needed work too. spent 2 weekends on this task.. R32GTR's up front and S14 rears. there is no diff in size between the rears, but i needed 5 stud, so it was easier to source 5 stud disks and swap them, then to re drill... well, if u ask james (dusky007) he'd tell u it was a **** of a job, but its safer than re drilling. i didnt get any pics while doing this job, tho i wish i had as the rear was a pain.. had to take the rear off from the diff, as u need to undo 4 bolts on the back of the hub. these were nicely rusted on and needed a rattle gun to get them off.... once sorted, it was time to chuck some wheels on to see if i could roll the car around... r32 gtst wheels were found for the bargain price of nothing, so on they went and "almost" is how they fitted... so chucked some washers over the studs and that spaced them enough.. hell dodgy as the wheels rock like crazy, but it did the job.. wil be something i'll sort out later.
as well as GTR brakes up front, i got some braided lines.. got these from Maltech and they fit perfectly and look the piece too.

once engine and box were bolted in, i hooked up the clutch line... i sourced this braided little lovely from Maltech, as the nissan one didnt go close to reaching and interestingly enough, the clutch fork (if u could call it that) is completely internal on the R154 boxs and is on the passenger side. so the cable needed to across the fire wall and down, rather than straight down from the clutch MC.

with the previous SR engine, i had big issues with fire wall flex and the seems in the engine bay tearing away from themselves, due to torque... given i plan on almost doubling the 200rwkw the SR put out, i figured it would be worth seem welding the entire engine bay and investing in some of the Guard Braces by Zenith

PIC 13

turbo of choice is a GT35R (700hp) and with that, i'll be using one of the dual stage water injection kits supplied by Jordan at Cooling Mist

Ben from In Tune is going to make up the exhaust system which will include an Apexi Exhaust control valve and my original 3.5in cat back. Ben will also take care of the intercooler piping, ECU wiring, tail shaft, gauges, RSM, alarm, sub frame bushs, rear camber rings, battery relocation and kitchen sink.

all up, its taken a good 10 months to do - i got side tracked with some celsiors i imported, but when i got rid of those and the whinging girl friend, i was able to spend more time on it..

here is a list of mods... I’m sure we’ve missed a few but i'll post up as we go

Donor car

1995 180sx

New engine 1jz gte (manual)

Engine
HKS 1.5mm Metal head gasket
HKS cam gears
HKS 264 inlet cam
HKS 272 exhaust cam
HKS oil filter relocator
550cc injectors
custom 3" dump
3.5in cat back

Induction/Cooling
Garrett GT35R turbo
Tial 38mm wastegate
High mount manifold
ARE intercooler
HKS Oil cooler
HKS oil filter relocator
Custom CAI

TRANS
OS Giken Cross Mission gear set
OS Giken twin plate
custom single piece tail shaft

ECU
Microtec LTX 12s
bosch coils

Fuel system
custom fuel lines
Twin Walbro 500hp intank pumps
surge tank to come

Brakes
front - R32 GTR 4pot Calipers
front - R32 GTR slotted rotors
Rear - S14
5 stud conversion

Suspension
Tein HR's
Rear Camber rings
aluminium sub frame bush's

Bracing
Cusco front strut brace
Rear strut brace
Whiteline custom front heavy duty swaybar
seem welded engine bay
Zenith Guard Bracis

Interior
R32 GTR seats
D1 detachable boss kit
Nardi steering wheel
Greddy electric gauges - boost, oil temp, oil press, water temp, exh temp
custom 12 fibre glass sub encloser - which i made and if anyone wants one i can make more
JVC cameleon head deck
JVC splits

Body
Wide front guards - from AVI
C-West vented bonnet
fixed head light conversion
Full RW kit - from AVI
dents and scratches - provided by shopping trolley's in car parks
accident panel beating by me

Custom work
1 piece tail shaft - was able to keep the standard TS loops
new bigger fuel lines and swapped to the left side of the car
dual intank fuel pumps
gauge clusters in the dash
shifter needed a small dog leg to bring the shifter back to standard position... trans tunel needed a 50mm hole cut, at the front of the standard shifter gap, to allow the new dog leg to come up.
engine mounts
gearbox mount
radiator supports
oil cooler mounting
intercooler piping
throttle cable
clutch hose
ecu and wiring
radiator header tank
thermo fans

Almost all of the work is home grown and carried out by James (dusky007), Benn (type-X) and myself.

now for some random pics....

PIC 14 - gearbox and firewall clearance
PIC 15 - random engine bay shot
PIC 16 - random engine bay shot
PIC 17 - turbo and brake master cylinder stopper
PIC 18 - pretty turbo
PIC 19 - more guard bracing

updated pics to come...

Big thanks to James and Benn from Garage Titan.. and especially to Ben from IN TUNE none of this would have happened without their efforts.

Last edited by chosen1; 02-02-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

i cant see any pics... bout it sounds pretty sick
Old 02-02-2006, 02:23 PM

yeah, there is a link at the top of the first post.... not sure why pics arent showing???
Old 02-06-2006, 01:50 PM

more pics from the weekend.... not the greatest, but the engine bay pic is cool..

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...0#entry1962549