Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Question Help!!

i have an sr, and i bought it from a guy that crashed into a tree....it looks like instead of taking off the head to remove the cracked front oil pump cover, it looks like he just got a screwdriver to pry it off....there are chips all around the blocks surface, and seriously ive never been through a problem like this before.....i dont kno what to do???...its either resurface the block or put sealent around....i want to be safe!!!...any suggestions??..
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

damn brother..first that was a bad purchase... i would resurface it.. many sealants break down over time for various reasons ( heat) i would have it resurfaced. you can even do it yourself with an sander and high grit paper.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

JB Weld, then sand smooth?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 AM

Its just chips? Not a crack? If so yeah sand it down and polish it off. If this guy did stuff like that, your gonna wanna go over that engine with a microscope.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by OutToWinPAHC
Its just chips? Not a crack? If so yeah sand it down and polish it off. If this guy did stuff like that, your gonna wanna go over that engine with a microscope.
yeah i kno....i was doing a build up and i started to take off this orange sealent all around....and then i found all these chips n stuff....it looks like like he tried to hide his mistakes with that gunk....
Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ryguy
JB Weld, then sand smooth?
i think the weld would melt......lol....i dunno??
Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
damn brother..first that was a bad purchase... i would resurface it.. many sealants break down over time for various reasons ( heat) i would have it resurfaced. you can even do it yourself with an sander and high grit paper.
yeah...i know....its my second....but this one was $1500 and has 49,000 miles..it had some internal modes done to it, cams, and valves done from the guy in japan or something.....lol.......but yeah it was a bad purchas....i should of looked more closley....im the 3rd owner
Old 06-08-2007, 06:48 AM

well i think most who have owned a 240 have made one bad purchace atleast. just learn to look more closely at what you buy next time. 3rd owner eh? for some reason that makes me nervous. i have a feeling that engine might have some more surprises waiting for you. done a compression check yet?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by cracka Matt
well i think most who have owned a 240 have made one bad purchace atleast. just learn to look more closely at what you buy next time. 3rd owner eh? for some reason that makes me nervous. i have a feeling that engine might have some more surprises waiting for you. done a compression check yet?
nope....this one hasent even cranked yet....too many parts missing, soo i started to buy aftermarket parts to replace the parts that i needed.... the kid i bought i off of totaled the car at 35mph ,drunk, and into a tree...the crank pulley bent and cracked the oil pump cover...man...to resurface that thing just the head alone would be $855...and im gettin the hook ups.....i wonder how much it would be to resurface the block....??.....lol.....and plus the kid has been avoiding my calls lately too....i think he knos that i found found out.....lol...
Old 06-08-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by cracka Matt
no surprises if its done rite....i dont think it would....i turned it from the crank and it seems there is no interuption with the bearings and so forth........the motor is the newer s13...i think a 94 or something....its been taken care of, the oil used was great...there were no chips found in the oil....its been baybied..he only owned it for like 5 months and only been driven during the weekends and it ran strong.....just went through hell and back.....i believe in it.. ....lol.....
Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

The JB Weld won't melt. You can use it on cracks on engine blocks. And Wes_R20 stop double posting. Put everything you have to say in one post or use the edit button.