Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Hey all, new guy + a few questions.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:22 PM

Hey all, new guy + a few questions.

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to Nissans. I've been into Hondas for the past few years and am an avid poster on Honda-tech and was referred here by some guys on there for my needs, so I'm not a forum noob.

However I've always wanted to have a rwd car so I've recently grabbed a 90 240sx for $500, rwd, 5spd, blown motor, minor body issues, no rust. After searching around and reading up on the popular sr20 swap I've got the basics down except for where to get my engine from. I can name off a good 5 places for hondas but not many for Nissans. The place that has impressed me the most so far is srswap.com Seem to have a good deal on complete swaps and warranty etc. I've done a swap with my 90 Civic by myself with a dohc zc and had very few problems so my 3 main questions are...

Is srswap.com a good reputable place? They seem to have everything I need along with tech support.
Is this swap possible to be done on my own? It was reasonably easy with my civic but I know with the engine/tranny orientation being how it is that some spooning/tilting will be required but I have the necessary tools with my hoist for that.
And are there any issues that needs to be done concerning wiring? Does the ecu and engine harness just plug right into the stock sx harness?

Thanks for your time and help, glad to be here.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Heavy throttle/srswap is a great place to deal with never heard a bad thing about them in all the years they've been around. But to answer your questions it's not very hard tilting the engine just get a good tilter and you'll be fine. As far as wiring you need to use the SR harness and you have to at minimum extend two plugs, re-wire two plugs and make yourself a little adapter harness for the dash wiring (if you get a clip). I really didn't have any problems doin my swap. It's pretty straight foward.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Good places to get SR....The best place in my mind is phase2motortrend.com u can also try out venus-auto.com But Phase2 has better engines in my mind..they really care about the customer. u can easily do the SR swap on ur own..and wiring u only have to cut and splice a few wires..less then 10 i belive. If ya looked around a lil on the forums u coulda found most of the stuff i said..
Old 09-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

I only extended 6 wires really only need to do 4, but what the hell I'll hook up the p/s. Oh yeah I forgot about phase2 those guys are by far my favorite, but they don't do full clips anymore they strip 'em.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Thats sad to here...
Old 09-11-2003, 11:03 PM

Yeah I did some brief searching on here but most of the topics were "how much hp is the sr20" and "whats the diff in the black v red?" and "whats my 1/4 gonna be?" etc. Thanks though on the engine dealers, I'll definately check them out.