Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

I need help!!! from whoever has done an SR swap into an S14...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 PM

I need help!!! from whoever has done an SR swap into an S14...

Heres my deal, this has been my friends car for the past year, getting towed from shop to shop after they gave up on it... He got tired of it so I gave him $3K for it and its in my garage at home and Im gonna do it myself now. I was at home this weekend working on it but now Im 3 hours away back at school, I took a bunch of pics to try to help explain my questions. I also just ordered the TSRM, but its for the stock KA so I will still have some problems. Some questions might seem stupid to you guys but Ive never owned a Nissan and never really done a full swap before.
I picked it up this weekend and heres how it was when I got it- motor and tranny are in, most of the wiring harness is hooked up(I do have some pics I need help with), IM and injectors are all in, thats about it.
Im attending school to be a Nissan mechanic so I could get help from teacher if the car wasnt 3 hours away... but here it goes Ill put the questions with the pics.

Does a hose go from that port on the block to the T on the valve cover? If so where does the hose on the other side of the T go to?

I have no idea which heater hoses go to these ports. I do know you have to put a "U" on one in the back of the motor to turn it around, and thats already done but its not hooked up and I dont know where to put it... I guess Ill have to wait til I get the TSRM and see if I can figure it out

The banjo bolt on top of the PS pump wont fit through the hole on this line, can I just drill the hole in the top a little, its only like 1/16" too small??? Or can I just get a banjo bolt off of a KA?(the old engine is gone already)

Where the hell does this little "plate" thing go? It looks like it has a certain place it mounts up, was it on the oem IM? And what is the little cylinder thing on the left with the vacumn hoses coming out- and where do those hoses go??? Also does anyone recognize that orange wire connector up there in the top right corner? I cant figure out where it goes

This hose comes off the bottom of the IM, where does it go? Theres a 90deg fitting on the IM circled in blue- if I could turn it around I could run the hose to one of those ports on the firewall could that be it? I dont see anywhere else it could go to

I do have a few more questions-
--I have an SAFC I took off my civic, where can I get instructions on how to wire it in? from Apexi?
--I am gonna run an open DP for a while- do I only need one O2 sensor, and is it a 2 or 4 wire?
--Does anyone know off the top of thier head what thread pitch the oil feed port on the block is? I need to order a fitting.

Thats all for now, Im sure I will come up with more problems but I wont be back home for 2 weeks to work on it again. Sorry for all the questions- Ive been trying to search myself but the search function isnt working. Thanks

Last edited by Turbocoop; 02-11-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 PM

Here she is incase you were wondering what the whole thing looked like. I think you will agree that it needs a little work- the turbos an SC61

Old 02-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

ok...i can help you wit the first couple here
the T on the valve cover needs to have a hose ffrom it to the nipple just below it like you drew in on the picture. the for the front of the T get a K&N breather filter.

the power steering hose will fit on the s13 pump no problem. if not then get another banjo bolt like u stated

the adfc wiring is on apexi site...very easy to do

o2 sensor is a 2 wire. the plug sits right near the heater hoses that you are having a problem with.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the reply--
I got on the service manual online at school today and figured a bunch of stuff out. I think I got the heater hoses figured out- are you positive it goes to the T like I have in my pic? It looks like that is the coolant line that goes to the heater core cause on the SR the heater core would go to the firewall on that side of the motor??? I belive you I just want to be sure before I hook it up and forget about it and start it up just to fill up the engine with coolant...
^^If that is really the PCV line then where is the fitting for the hose to go the heater core port on the firewall??? I think the other port on the firewall is the return which goes up near the thermostat but I cant go look cause the car is 3 hours away
Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

the T on the valve cover and the little nipple that you have the arrow oing to is were i have a stainless steel braided hose from one to the other...
here are some pics (hard to see but thats what i got going)

Old 02-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Youre right-I emailed heavythrottle today and they told me where to find em, one is on the back of the motor and one is under the IM. I just need to figure out some vacumn lines...
Old 02-12-2007, 07:40 PM

I thought of a couple more questions- does the MAF have to be set up as pull through on the turbo intake pipe? Or can you put it on the intercooler piping and have it work as a blow through? I just would rather have it blow through so I can hide it, but then it wouldnt work with a open atmosphere BOV would it???

And I dont think Ive seen this anywhere: how much boost I can run though a Z32 maf sensor without making the ECU go crazy? Ive never worked on a car that came from the factory with a turbo so Im used to just reprogramming the ECU, but this time Im using a SAFC and a BTM with my ignition to tune... I was thinking like 18-20lbs max???
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

i "think" if you get an ems you can remove the maf i only say that because ive seen s13 srs with huge turbos and no mafs but im not sure anybody know if thats true
Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 AM

yeah if you use a standalone you can use a MAP sensor and ditch the maf, but I dont have the money to do that... I just cant find any info on how much air you can push (or pull) through a Z32 or the stock MAF sensor.

PS- I figured out how to do the P/S line so dont worry about that, I saw that there is another little fitting that goes on there, it hard to explain but you can look at it and tell what I mean