Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Legalities of Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:31 PM

James_s14

I also live in orange county and i really want a s14 with a sr20det swap. But the california bull**** is deterring me. What problems and such are you having with your swap. any cop bull**** yet or anything?
Old 11-01-2004, 02:44 PM

ive been pulled over 3 times (2x in one day on same st. main st, in HB) for a cracked windshield. all 3 officers told me to pop my hood. i did, and they didnt know what they were looking at. my engine looks totally stock. recently i put an s15 front end, fixed my windshield and painted my car. it looks very nice, and i havent gotten bothered by cops lately at all. they do stare sometimes but thats it. I would just make sure all your lights are working and try not to get any fix it tickets. you should read up on the 4th amendment: states that cops cant search any part of your car unless they have probable cause. they might try to say that you have exhaust or guages. but tell them your exhaust is 50 state legal and your guages are to ensure that your car is working correctly. also you exhaust cant be louder than 95 decibles/ if they try to give you a ticket for noise, tell them to bust out the DB meeter. they cant measure noise with their ears. you will win in court. but dont pop your hood like i did. i think they will give up if they dont have probable cause..email me if you have any questions.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by james_s14
ive been pulled over 3 times (2x in one day on same st. main st, in HB) for a cracked windshield. all 3 officers told me to pop my hood. i did, and they didnt know what they were looking at. my engine looks totally stock. recently i put an s15 front end, fixed my windshield and painted my car. it looks very nice, and i havent gotten bothered by cops lately at all. they do stare sometimes but thats it. I would just make sure all your lights are working and try not to get any fix it tickets. you should read up on the 4th amendment: states that cops cant search any part of your car unless they have probable cause. they might try to say that you have exhaust or guages. but tell them your exhaust is 50 state legal and your guages are to ensure that your car is working correctly. also you exhaust cant be louder than 95 decibles/ if they try to give you a ticket for noise, tell them to bust out the DB meeter. they cant measure noise with their ears. you will win in court. but dont pop your hood like i did. i think they will give up if they dont have probable cause..email me if you have any questions.
thanks alot for the fast response.

All i need to do is find a 240. I want a S14...do you know any that are for sale in the OC area? i live in irvine/tustin.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:56 PM

how much u willing to spend? what details of the car are u looking for...miles, sr20?, body work?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:17 PM

how much u willing to spend? what details of the car are u looking for...miles, sr20?, body work?
I'd like to spend around 8-9 grand(that can get me pretty far dont you think?). SR20, sure, but i wont pass up a good deal on a KA. And of course, must be manual. I do not want high miles.

thanks alot bro.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:55 PM

you should check out my car....but its gonna cost more then 8-9 grand..i put a lot of $$ into it. I also just bought the 2nd version, b&m short shifter, and a turbonetics manual boost control. It hauls ***. Well taken care of. Let me know, or ill keep a look out.
How much would you be looking for? Got any pics....hmm, i might be intrested.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:00 PM

i dont have a digi camera so no pics. but since you live so close, you can check it out, test drive, ect..we can talk price then. hows tonite sound? i get off work at 8:45 pm in fact, email me your #, ill call you right now. my email is james_s14@yahoo.com
Old 11-01-2004, 06:39 PM

actually, im not trying to sell it cus i put sooo much blood and sweat into making it perfect..i love the car. I wouldnt drive anything else. So, chances are ill still have the car for a few months unless someone makes a good offer on it. $12,500 +
but if you are still interested and you have $$ then im open for offers. Let me know.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:41 PM

oh yeah, its got about 37,000 miles on the front clip (s14) but on the chassis its 170,000 i replaced shocks and springs (kyb agx) strut mounts, tension rods, ect..interior is pretty much perfect but needs detailing. body is absolutley perfect (no dents...yet) new pearl white paint/carbon hood. blah blah blah...u just gotta see it..
Old 01-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

FYI Orange County, San Bernardino, and Ontario area cops have scheduled classes to help identify intercoolers, which give them probable cause to have you pop your hood. The class also includes how to positively identify illegal engines, with the SR high on the list amongst the Honda swaps.

If your exhaust "seems" loud to them, that's enough for probable cause. They can state in court that the sound didn't sound like an unmodified car, so the cop requested to see under the hood for verification if the engine was modified or not.

Rumor has it that CHP has picturebooks now of popular cars and which engines belong in them stock... but that's rumor. The first paragraph I typed is real.

And if they pull you over for loud exhaust, it is purely subjective but doesn't prevent the cop from writing you a ticket. If a cop thinks you were revving he can give you a ticket. It doesn't matter what you say to the cop - if they want to ticket you they can - even if they are wrong - because it's up to you to prove in court that you were falsely cited.

You will still have to pay the bail amount and show up in court at least 2 times - once to plead your case to the judge that your exhaust wasn't too loud, the second to bring proof that the car meets the dB limit... which you can only get in writing AFTER you go to a State Referee's station to get your exhaust checked for legal purposes.

Consider yourself lucky getting pulled over 3 times without incident... but Luck doesn't last forever bro
Old 01-02-2005, 12:27 PM

thats bs..havent you read superstreet magazine? they have a whole article on the loud exhaust...they have a cop telling us they will only ticket you if you dont know your rights. if they dont have a db meter, tell them to **** off. loud exhaust isnt enough to search your car.. 4th amendment says they need a search warrant to search any part of your vehicle, home, or whatever. or probable cause. loud exhaust wouldnt be probably especially if they have no way to measure the sound.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:28 PM

dont get caught racing, thats probable cause. dont blow off, 240s arent suppost to be turbo.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:05 PM

Is there an online resource for the most commonly checked items? Such as, the distance from the ground to the headlight, etc. I think it would be a good idea to get a list of what the cops are likely to check so we can get an idea of our chances of being nailed by the common officer with some specialized training.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM

what i did was ask questions from sema.com...look at other forums and theres this attorney forum you can go to for questions. or you can search also...thats where i got my info from. and it definately makes sense to me.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

thats bs..havent you read superstreet magazine? they have a whole article on the loud exhaust...they have a cop telling us they will only ticket you if you dont know your rights. if they dont have a db meter, tell them to **** off. loud exhaust isnt enough to search your car.. 4th amendment says they need a search warrant to search any part of your vehicle, home, or whatever. or probable cause. loud exhaust wouldnt be probably especially if they have no way to measure the sound.
1) Don't double post.
2) LOL so I take it you're one of the people who believe EVERYTHING you read in Super Street

Like I said, dB meter or not, they can ticket you anyways and when you say whatever it is you feel like you have to say, the cop can just respond with "tell the judge"

And you don't think there's ways for cops to get around your constant stating of the 4th amendment? Have you ever heard of "driving in a suspicious manner"? That's accepted in the courtroom as "probable cause" even if there's no specific way to define "suspicious manner". Anyhow, it's still enough to pull you over. Then all they have to do is ask you to pop your hood. If you say no, and if you're not smooth about it, they can order a warrant to search under the hood - and guess what, you end up sitting there in your car (or on the curb) for an hour at minimum. They don't need to have the warrant with them right when they pull you over - if needed, they can get a warrant on the spot, but it will take time. Someone has to physycally deliver the warrant to the spot where you're pulled over; the cop will make you WAIT until the warrant comes if he/she feels that there is enough suspicion to have a look under the hood.

My reference is my cousin who is a public defender in the Los Angeles County Court System; yours is Super Street.

Quick Reply: Legalities of Engine Swaps