Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

my rb swap progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Levi SPL S14
I dont want to rain on anyones parade, I thinks its cool that you are doing a write up.
Some things i honestly think are unecessary. It doesnt need to be a step by step.

Good luck didnt mean to come off as an ***.

Some advice, invest in air tools they make a world of difference.
it wasn't really intended to be a write up its just my progress, i thought if i saw a thread it would be cool to read and look through. i dont have a step by step photo gallery i just posted what i believed was an important moment to ME, i didnt mean to sound like an *** either, it just annoyed me a bit cuz it was something better left unsaid.
next time i have extra cash and see a good deal on air tools i will buy em but for now i have my friends to leech off

enough of that heres the new update

so today(yesterday) was the day the motor was ready to be dropped in place
before all that i got the 240 crossmember off and the R33 xmember on
attached the LCA, rack and pinion, all that good stuff
then i finally got to use some NEW stuff, i put on the motor mounts from syko

after that was ready i moved all hoses/lines as far to the side as possible to give the motor clearance and to make sure i would not crush anything
o yea i also put in the Z32 fuel filter
also i drilled holes to place the clutch master cylinder, i put the clutch pedal in also but i still have to work on puttin the brake pedal in, but thats not too important
the begining...

then halfway through that i realize that i needed more clearance :duh: so i quickly pulled the radiator out then it began again

after hours or who knows how long of moving motor up down, jack on tranny up and down, AND moving the front and rear of the car up and down i finally got it squeezed in. i also had to take off the lower pully to help with my clearance issues, without those in the way my job would have been a lot easier, its up to you guys if anyone else wants to go through the hassle of taking those pieces off. for me the lower (A/C one i believe i dont remember) was enough for me to clear my mistake was i did not position the chain at the ideal position for the angle of the motor and tranny to slide in, so it took some work to make it fit but it finally did

in that picture the motor is not yet in the mounts, its still held up by the hoist
after 20-30 minutes i finally got the motor to slide into the mounts and it sits very nicely. seems like it is WAY lower than the KA

i would have taken more pictures but my camera ran out of batteries plus it was late, the tranny was not bolted up yet (sitting on 3 ton jack), i would have to lower the car to take true shots of how the engine sits n all that, so i called it a night at about 2-3AM, the hard part is done, now its time for the little things, driveshft, shifter, finish pedals, hook up the hoses, fuel pump etc
i should get the harness back from syko soon and once the intercooler piping is done it will be ready to fire up! im so happy yet so sore and tired now, whew that was a longggg night

on a side note, this took me hours to do (with help), all the stuff like the xmember i took about the entire day, but with some breaks, but unless u have about 10 hours of free time dont try it just yet

more updates to come....

henry

Last edited by sr20det power; 12-14-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

I hope you did some maintenance to that motor, timing belt, drive belts, cleaning out all the coolant/oil passages, before putting it in!!!

You got some big ones if you are justhoping its gonna be ok...These motors aint cheap enough to just throw in & hope.

Good progress so far though, congrats!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

Nice writeup man, keep us updated
Old 12-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jonpowell
I hope you did some maintenance to that motor, timing belt, drive belts, cleaning out all the coolant/oil passages, before putting it in!!!
Some damn GOOD advise.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jonpowell
[B]I hope you did some maintenance to that motor, timing belt, drive belts, cleaning out all the coolant/oil passages, before putting it in!!!

i would of waited a lil bit more and put some new parts on and clean it up a lil bit but looks nice more pics i like PICS!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:54 PM

awesome thread man love it keep it coming
Old 12-16-2005, 11:29 PM

well i havnt updated my progress in awhile, been tired and working on it a lot and i have been too tired to upload and post, but here my progress for the last few days

i got the downpipe on, bolted up the driveshaft, bolted the tranny in, finished the clutch pedal
i was going to put in a brake pedal but after i really looked at what needed to be done i decided not to. believe me its not worth the trouble, just cut your stock pedal, JUST TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, dont even try it's a waste of time.
here are some pics on how the engine sits

here how the shifter sits, i took it at a bad angle, but it sits pretty centered, its off by very little and i can adjust the mounts to center it more but im fine with the way it is, its just me being lazy

my original plan was to buy FAL dual fans but i came across some fluidyne electric fans for cheap so i bought two of em and since they are not as thin as the FAL, i had clearance issues with the motor. these fans however lets you change them from puller to pusher by popping out a pin and flipping the fan. so i change both to pushers and mounted it in the front. it was a tight squeeze but it fit

gary finished my harness and came down with dave to help me with little things, he needed to solder some wires inside the car and told me a few things about the harness
then i asked him what i was supposed to do about the throttle cable since it doesnt fit, heres a little write up on it since he wanted to document how to do it also

first take out the two 10 mm bolts from the inside, then the plastic bracket from the engine bay and pull the entire cable out, also pick up some of these cable clamps/stoppers from home depot or something( gary brought some for me, thanks!)

then you want a clean cut on the cable to seperate it from the stock clamp/stopper so use a dremel or something that will cut it cleanly, be careful and hold it down with a clamp or something just incase

hopefully you got a clean cut like so

then pull the cable out from the bracket, just force it, it will come out

afterwards cut the rubber tube(plastic and metal inside so use something strong) DO NOT CUT THE THROTTLE CABLE

we cut it somewhat short because we were not sure on how much to cut at first so we did like 3-4 cuts to make sure we have the proper length
here is an after picture of how long the cable should be if you pull it all the way to one side, give or take 1/4 inch it might vary on S13 but i doubt it

then make sure you put the insulators and stuff back in the correct order, gary decided to put a washer there to space it out a bit more
but heres how it should look when you have the clamp/stopper on there

then just put everything back the way you found it
the cable wont route around the engine bay like it used to but it will work just fine, hope this helps some of you, dont thank me, thank gary, because hes the one who told me how to do it and did most of the work, i just followed his instructions

i didnt have a camera for a day so i didn snap picturse of the downpipe or driveshaft, but its not a big deal and you guys could probably care less if i posted those pictures or not, but yeah thats about it

things left to do:
attached all the hoses and misc. stuff
fill the car with fluids
plug in the harness
mount intercooler
get piping made
few other things i cant remember right now
then FIRE IT UP and test drive....

also about the strut brace, i highly doubt it will clear the hood, i dont have one so its not a problem for me, if i were to get one, maybe notch the hood it may fit im not sure since i dont have the hood bolted on right now
once the hood is on and the car is running i will try and see how much actually clearance there is with some puddy or something

forgive the grammer im exhausted from work (both my job and working on the car) after about a week straight of working on it im finally feeling the exhaustion

also i checked the belts and such and they look fine to me and other people looked at it and it looked okay to them as for the oil it is VERY clean, plus i changed the oil pan so and build up on the pan is gone. the oil pickup also looked VERY clean. as for the coolant it also came out clean, so i didnt bother, plenty of other people have not changed water pump and they were fine so im pretty sure its fine, but i will eat my words if there are problem, since it seems like a low mileage motor it should be fine, flame me if you must, but the majority says im fine so ill go with their words

thats it for now, but still more to come

henry

Last edited by sr20det power; 12-16-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

I hope for your sake it is fine. I have seen RB motors where the water pump LOOKS fine on the outside, but it sat so long the fins inside are completely missing...like nothing there...totally corroded away. That is aenough for me to NEVER take a chance, especially ona n investment as big as a new motor. $3K paper weight over a $150 ins policy....dont make sense to me.

Good luck none the less, you aren't far away now! New fuewl pump, right?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by jonpowell
I hope for your sake it is fine. I have seen RB motors where the water pump LOOKS fine on the outside, but it sat so long the fins inside are completely missing...like nothing there...totally corroded away. That is aenough for me to NEVER take a chance, especially ona n investment as big as a new motor. $3K paper weight over a $150 ins policy....dont make sense to me.

Good luck none the less, you aren't far away now! New fuewl pump, right?
you worry me with that but gary narusawa ( probably the first guy to do a RB swap in the US) said hes done many swaps where the water pump was fine and he saw my motor in person and said with the condition my motor is in the water pump is going to be fine, so with that im pretty confident its going to be okay

and yes i have a walbro 255 im going to put in soon enough

thanks for the concern anyways

henry
Old 12-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Good to hear things will be ok. You have a fuel regulator also right? The walbro will overrun the stock regulator & cause you to run HELLA rich.

I just noticed how many typos I made at 2:29AM(I think it was actually 6:30 my time)
Old 12-17-2005, 09:30 PM

really i thought i would be okay without the FPR i was about to buy a sard unit but passed on it after talking to a few people

hmm maybe i should look into it again
Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Just get the NISMO unit, no need to spend alot of cash on it. The NISMO looks stock & unassuming and does the job fine.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 AM

well heres my update
lately i've been working a bit slower since i've been worn out and its all small tedious things left to do
but heres a major part of my car done
here i positioned the intercooler to about where i wanted it to sit

the size is a 24x9x3 if anyone was wondering
and it fit pretty dam well, i had to take my bumper support to get trimmed, but the trimming was very minimal
here are some pictures on what was cut

then it was welded all the way across to keep the structure of it
its ugly i know the welder didnt have a plasma cutter and used a torch, but hell it worked

and it jus squeezed in there perfectly

gary (syko performance) came down again to help me with the piping he found some extra pieces of pipe and stuff he had laying around and picked some more up from his piping guy and amazingly we found enough pieces to fit together an entire kit. of course we needed to get some pieces cut and welded together but it work out perfectly considering i didnt have the tools to cut or weld, we got it marked and gary had it cut and welded from his people

while gary was gone cutting and welding i worked on cutting the holes

i know its not the perfect holes but i did not have a big enough hole saw
i found some plastic dip spray at home depot that i painted the edges with
it is kind of a thick rubber compound made into a spray, it gave the edges a softer smoother feel to them so it would not cut into the piping and at the same time preventing rust

that side went dead center of where the battery sat so now i gotta relocated the battery to the trunk, i guess it isnt a bad idea since this motor does weigh a bit more, more time and money i kind of did not want to spend now, but eh gotta do what i gotta do
finally measure everything up and got the intercooler mounted
i used a aluminum bar from home depot drilled some holes and ran it across the ic, heres how it looks

then with the support on, this is really where you can see the uglyness in the cutting and welding, but im not perfectioness, it works thats all the matters to me and you cant see it much with the bumper skin on

then i fitted on the bumper support and the bumper skin to see how it looked and how it fit

pretty clean but i wanted a more sleeper and less cop attracting look so i made some marks and did this

its not gonna have any real impact on the cooling since only the face is painted, lightly might i add, and the inner fins will still be doing it job with paint free surfaces
heres it is with the bumper support
heres how it looks with the bumper on

i did a few more things after that but nothing really worth taking pictures of
now i gotta install the fuel pump, relocate battery buy new longer fuel hoses, wire fans, clean intercooler piping, fill fluids, and prolly few others things im missing and then cross my fingers as i turn the key

im almost there, maybe ill post pictures of the battery relocation, but most likely my next post here in this thread will be starting up the beast!

not much more to come

thanks for looking!

henry
Old 12-23-2005, 02:13 AM

looking good, your moving along pretty quick
Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

yep, keep it coming~ seems like you've got most of the hard stuff over with.

Quick Reply: my rb swap progress