Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Pros and cons SR vs KA?

Old 01-21-2003, 03:33 PM

Question Pros and cons SR vs KA?

I have a '93 240sx coupe. The motor has 108,000 miles on it. I had originally planned a full S13 swap, but have been feeling a bit nervous about the SR20DET. I have been working on the suspension (Tein HA coilovers), and I just purchased the O.Z. Superleggera's. I am not at all woried about body work, I plan on the S13 front end with or with-out the SR20. I have heard that the SR20 does not pass emissions in California, luckily I don't plan on moving there anytime soon. But I am planning to move back to SLC, UT. There are emissions, but I don't think they are as strict. Is there anyway to get an SR20 to pass emissions? At least just for the test? Or is there anyway to really beef up the KA24de motor? I'm only 17 so I'm not exactly rolling in dough, but if there was a way to get the SR20 to pass, I'd be really happy to have a 205-250hp motor over the 140hp. Also I have heard that replacment parts for the SR20 are extremely hard to come by. Are there any tuners/companies that help with these problems? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:12 AM

depending on what SR parts you need, they are not as hard to find as you may think. Remeber Sentras and 200SX's came with SR's just not the DET's. unless you needed internal parts, the other parts shouldn't be hard to find. and as for emissions, I know a few people with S14's with the swap, and they passed the Ohio e-check. all they did was run the car hard for about 30 minutes,then went straight to the emission station and their cars past with no problems. E-Check is basically making sure you are buring as much of the gas as possible with in the legal limit, so if you really push your car, it should pass.

Im about to start my project of beefing up a KA24E and Turboing the ****, and just blow SR's away. KA's have a lot of potential, that only few people venture into unlocking. try www.realnissan.com, www.f-max.com or xs-engineering.com for a KA turbo kit. with stock 7lbs boost with not internal mods you can push the same amount of HP as a SR. now if you build up the KA and put a turbo kit on it, you can beat most SR's
Old 01-30-2003, 02:17 PM

hey thanks for the info, that helps a lot. how are the emissions in Ohio compared to california, if you know right off the bat, if not don't stress it. I have also been considering an RB25det in my 240, the swap seems relatively easy, and with the skyline diff. it will apparently put 280 rwhp stock.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:59 PM

i personally dont know anyone with the RB swap, I've seen it done, but don't know the people personally. I have a feeling that the emissions are easier to pass on a SR than an RB. But from what I've heard, the CA emissions are more strict than the OH emissions. I know if you fail the ohio emissions you don't have to pay, so try the CA with what I said before, if you fail, try something else to pass, if you pass, you are free for 2 yrs.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:41 PM

I'm actually moving to Utah, I was just going to see how the Ohio emissions were compared to California's. I am pretty sure that Utah's aren't as strict. I have talked with a guy that sells the RB motors and has done the swap himself (he's a member on this forum), but he said that if you put a good catalytic converter, and ran lean on fuel and low boost the Rb would pass. But I wonder if your approach would work just as well. I will probably put a cat on but one with better flow than stock. I am still in the research point, but I would be interested in how your KA turns out. What all are you planning for it?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:18 PM

Even in Cali the SR20's should easily pass the sniffer. The problem that people have is that it quickly fails the visual inspection if the smog guys have any idea what they're looking at. Since the motor is illegal in the country in general, there is no way it'll pass a visual inspection. Basically you just need to find a shop that doesn't give a damn about what you're doing as long as you pass the sniffer. In any case, if you're not moving to California then you shouldn't even worry since our laws are so much worse than any other state. This is the one downside to living in Cali, well, that and all those damn liberals
Old 02-11-2003, 10:33 AM

i live in florida, could i get away with a sr20 or rb25 swap?
Old 02-11-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by S15 Powered
Even in Cali the SR20's should easily pass the sniffer. The problem that people have is that it quickly fails the visual inspection if the smog guys have any idea what they're looking at. Since the motor is illegal in the country in general, there is no way it'll pass a visual inspection. Basically you just need to find a shop that doesn't give a damn about what you're doing as long as you pass the sniffer. In any case, if you're not moving to California then you shouldn't even worry since our laws are so much worse than any other state. This is the one downside to living in Cali, well, that and all those damn liberals
ok so a way to get around this in cali is to A) have a smog hook up or B) find a shop that wont really check under the hood as long as you pass. what about if your pulled over? im pretty sure a cop wouldnt be able to recognize an sr20det right?
Old 02-11-2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by clikzip
does florida have emissions tests? i know some people ( 5+ ) who live in florida and say none for them. so i dont think it would affect you much.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by 2FortyessX
what about if your pulled over? im pretty sure a cop wouldnt be able to recognize an sr20det right?
Yea, first of all you'd have to give the cop a reason to look under your hood, and second of all, unless the cop is an import fan of some sort, he wouldn't be able to tell, cuz the motor is still a Nissan.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by S15 Powered
Yea, first of all you'd have to give the cop a reason to look under your hood, and second of all, unless the cop is an import fan of some sort, he wouldn't be able to tell, cuz the motor is still a Nissan.
pshh, cops in my area pull over anything with a body kit and will make you pop the hood, check your ride hieght. under the hood basically if they see any aftermarket the claim its illegal.

"oh that intake filter head sucker right there is illegal, im going to have to tow your car"

"uh thats my stock intake"

"thats what that last ricer told me after i towed his car!"

and yeah basically i am getting a bomex kit so i will probably be a target. oh well...
Old 02-11-2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by 2FortyessX
pshh, cops in my area pull over anything with a body kit and will make you pop the hood, check your ride hieght.
I myself am from San Francisco and even though my car was a target for a long time, no cop ever made me pop my hood. I'm not sure where exactly in the Bay Area you live, but you need to move!
Old 03-01-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by clikzip
no emission test in Florida, so yes you can get away with it.