Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

RB25DET, Best swap for me??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 01:23 AM

Lightbulb RB25DET, Best swap for me??

HEllo everyone, my first post here; as i make my entrance into the Nissan world. So far it seems that i will be able to do some amazing things with these engines they produce, as we all kno they do amazing things anyways. Right then straight to the point.

Ive recently purchased my self a new project car. Uh ho, you kno what that means, there goes the bank account and any freetime (seeing how its 4:00am currently). I have been racking my mechanical engineering brain the past few days, as well as surfing the hell out of these forums. However there are a few things im still uneasy about.

1. Can the stock internals of the RB25 really hold upper 300 lower 400 HP ranges?? I mean everything from valves, springs, rocker arms, crank, cams, pistons, connecting rods, etc.

2. If im not going to be racing it, or running it very hard at all at the time of the swap, does the cooling system need to be done right then?? I kno the fan from the KA wont fit, so what is the smartest option, that would still support the horses down the road?

3. Apparently the driveshaft from the KA differs from that of the RB. If the shaft often included in a clip?? If not Whats this i hear about a 300ZX shaft 'doing the job'??

4. Finally, the last thing for now (i think) on my drained mind, from experience this is a good time to do spark plugs, injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump... What are some reccomendations on these, do i need to run injectors in excess of 500cc?? Can i salvage a fuel pump that is going to be realiable??

Well i hope to recieve some informative feedback, and i hope that it helps some other nissan noobies out there somewhere.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

1)Yes

2)Replace water pump and radiator and install dual 10" electric fans and you will be fine

3)Need to have a new driveshaft made regardless

4)Dont change injectors, do change fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, oil filter, air filter, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, accessory drive belts, clutch, and sparkplugs
Old 08-01-2004, 08:16 PM

hey they thanks man. oh yea somethin else, emissions on RB; what kind of cat can i put on so it will pass?? what are my options for a legal system while on a side exit?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:53 PM

Ive also been searching to find the answer to this one. If i take a stock RB25det, and want to have mid 400, maybe close to 500 hp, will it handle it? are there a bunch of things i need to replace, or maybe just as few as pistons and rods...?? or are we talking crank, cams, rocker arms, springs, valves....remachining...??

I have found some info however not very informative. This info is basically that someone in siberia claimed the engine with stock internals (completely stock..??...??) to handle 500 whp... that is just mind blowing if u ask me.

Naturally if i was going to have that many ponies in one of my cars, i would replace a few internals. To get that much power you going to be spending enuff money already, u can fork over a grand for some forged pistons and rods at the least. However this is my first Nissan project, so i am just trying to get some intel from you guys out there and set this straight.

if anyone knows a site with some more detailed figures, plz let me kno.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Check on NICO there is a guy making 585RWHP running 11.26 in the quarter on a basically stock RB25....better turbo, bigger injectors, better intercooler, and stand alone ECU....its all tuning.

How long it will last..............I cant say.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:51 PM

yea tru, he might have made that one pass then thrown a rod thru the block......seriously thats crazy if true and its still running. Although u say its tuned, this means he could of had all the internals remachined, not replaced. which also runs a pretty penny. man thats awesome though.

thanks for the info, i'll check out nico.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:11 AM

rb25's dont have rocker arms... just fyi
Old 08-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Rocker arm stoppers too, you will need them!!!