Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

RB25DET: Tons of info, rebuild parts, hard to find parts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:03 AM

RB25DET: Tons of info, rebuild parts, hard to find parts...

I’ve been doing some research on the RB25DET motor over the last couple of days. Most of which was spent trying to find parts such as bearings, gaskets, oil/water pumps and things of that sort. I think one of the major factors keeping people from going the RB25DET route is the lack of aftermarket and US market support. If parts were available as they are for the SR20DET I think you’d see a lot of REALLY fast S13/14's out there. The RB25DET motor has a ton of potential. Starting with its 86mm bore and 71.7mm stroke, the big bore small stroke platform is perfect for a high revving beast. 122mm rod length and 71.7mm stroke result in a 1.7 rod to stroke ratio which is very close to what some engine builders consider to be a perfect r/s ratio (1.74). With its sturdy Iron composition, Stout crankshaft and rods, 1.70 r/s ratio and the fact that this motor was drastically detuned from the factory makes it clear that the RB25DET motor was definitely designed and built for performance.

Now in terms of aftermarket internals, there are a few companies that make pistons for the RB25DET. Wiseco and JE are just a couple off the top of my head. Companies such as Ross and Venolia can make you a custom 1 off RB25DET piston with a very decent turnaround time. They might ask for a stock piston though so make sure you have one available. I have yet to find a US market company that makes a shelf stock rod for the RB25DET but companies such as Crower, Pauter, Cunningham and Saenz can all make rods for the RB25DET at prices ranging from $130 - 240 per rod. As for bearings, I haven’t found bearings yet. I’m pretty sure ACL makes a complete engine bearings set but unfortunately they have yet to return my e-mail regarding RB25DET bearing availability. If ACL does in fact make engine bearing sets for the RB25DET that may just be the missing link, bearings have been the one part in terms of rebuild/build parts that I haven’t really been able to find in the US. They aren’t really a part you can have made like rods, pistons or valves so hopefully ACL will have these in production. ACL bearings are parts that are readily available in the US via any ACL dealer. They are an Australian based company, which leads me to believe that they will in fact carry an RB25DET bearing set. If anyone else knows of a bearing manufacturer please post up the contact info and pricing if available.
Gasket sets, oil/water pumps, timing belts, oil pans are all sold by http://mckinneymotorsports.com/sale.php. I’ve also noticed that those who do sell OEM RB25DET parts tend to mark the prices up considerably. I have been working with a very good JDM importer for the last few years for Honda parts and I’m sure he has access to Nissan parts as well. All that is needed are part numbers.

I wasn’t able to find much info on the head. There's not a whole lot of specs floating around out there i.e., combustion chamber cc volume, valve diameter, etc. I am almost positive that companies such as Greddy, HKS, Tomei, and JUN all offer cams and valvetrain for the RB25DET motor but the applications aren’t shown on their respective US sites. If anyone can confirm and possibly post links, specs and pricing that would be great. As far as aftermarket SS valves, any valve company (Ferrea, Supertech, SI) can make a set of valves for you. All they would need is 1 stock intake valve and 1 stock exhaust valve. The pricing isn’t too much higher than shelf stock so it may be worth it to you to have done.

I haven’t found anything in terms of transmission internals (synchro sleeve kits, bearings etc). Transmission rebuild kits or shops that can overhaul these trannies are as good as gold. There aren’t that many RB25DET trannies out there so make sure you take car of the one you have. If anyone knows of any RB25DET trans overhaul kits and or shops that can overhaul these trannies please post up links, contact info and pricing.

I’ve also gotten less than nowhere when trying to find RB25DET assembly specs (torque specs and related build info) If anyone knows the specs, knows of a site with the specs or knows of a manual of some sort with specs please post it up. This thread is going to help all and everyone who is trying to learn about and progress the aftermarket support and knowledge of the RB25DET. Any little bit helps. I do know of a couple of places that have RB engine building experience… Signal Auto in Torrance CA and McKinney Motorsport. I’ve seen Signals customers RB powered cars, some driving around locally, some at local tracks. I’ve never heard a single negative comment about Signal, my only complaint is their outrageous pricing. I don’t know too much about McKinney in terms of actually seeing their cars/work firsthand but they seem to have a solid rep from what I have gathered. Its always best to do your homework when looking for a quality engine builder so my best advice would be to ask around, get some feedback. Don’t ever let pricing over quality influence your decisions. I try not too but I’m still a cheap bastard at heart

McKinney Motorsports produces the mount kit and drive shaft for the swap. As of now they seem to be the only place producing a RB25DET into S13/14 mount kit. I’m sure with time and increasing popularity of the RB25DET motor that there will be others making mount kits as well. From what I’ve heard though, the McKinney kit is top notch in terms of quality. But given time I’m sure you will see a few out there that may or may not be just as good if not better.

If anyone has anything to add please do. I think it’s a good idea to get as much info on these motors and available parts as possible.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

You shoulda posted it in here http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...threadid=10661
Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 AM

I HAVE A FSM THAT HAS ALL THE TORQUE SPECS I'LL TAKE A GANDER TONIGHT AND GET SOME QUICK INFO FOR YOU.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 AM

RB25DET TRANNIES ARE THE SAME AS 300ZX TRANNIES..... SO ANY SHOP THAT CAN HANDLE THOSE CAN HANDLE THE RB25 TRANNY.

TOMEI'S SITE HAS A FULL SPEC SHEET FOR THE RB25 CAM, AS FOR CYLINDER HEAD CC'S YOU CAN USE THE SIMPLE EQUATIONS FOR THE BREAK DOWNS. VALVE DIAMTER TAKE THE HEAD OFF AND MEASURE IT.

ANY AFTERMARKET BEARING BUILDER (IE TOGA) OR MACHINE SHOP CAN BUILD YOU A SET OF BEARINGS.... THERE IS ALSO A WEBSITE WWW.SWMOTORSPORTS.COM THAT SELLS NISSAN PARTS FOR THESE ENGINES.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:24 AM

Thank you much sir

Are there any tuning units that can be used that are more or less PNP? I come from the Honda scene where Hondata was basically a Stand alone unit that used the stock wiring and ECU, I was just curious if there was anything similar for Nisans. I knw HKS has their Fcon piggy back units but do those allow you to reset rev limits, fuel ignition curves?

Last edited by SoCalude98; 03-30-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:07 AM

THERE IS THE POWER FC, MICROTECH LTX-8/12, HALTECH, LINK SYSTEM, AND A FEW OTHER THAT ARE PLUG AND PLAY.