Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

sr20 vs. rb20 vs.rb25

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:52 PM

Question sr20 vs. rb20 vs.rb25

With my car almost being sold I find that the sr20, rb20, and rb25 are all in my price range for swap. Knowing that in the order above is lightest to heaviest, I was wondering which is better for drifting. I read that the sr gives more low end torque providing a more viscious angle, but that it is overpriced b/c of the recent drift phenomenon. I know the prices and I didn't know which would be better for drifting, if someone, anyone could list the pros and cons of each and maybe an opinion of which is better for the money and which is better period, I would extremely appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time,
Sly
Old 04-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Id say its really between the RB20 and SR20.

Drifting really isnt all up to the engine, A lot of it is on Suspension(including tires). The RB20 is cheaper and a little more time consuming then the SR swap...and has more power. BUT doesnt have as big of a aftermarket like the SR.
The SR is more expensive, pretty easy swap and has a huge aftermarket.

Your choice. What about the KA-T?? Great torque
Old 04-14-2004, 12:05 AM

like he said its more about the suspension,but id go with sr.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:21 AM

I know drifting is mainly suspension, but I would like a car that if some f cks with me on the highway, i want to show them that my car is far from normal, and I want a drifter when I want to have fun. I mean with over/understeering (which I do not nearly comprehend enough) taking into account and what engine could do both extremely good? I would def. like after engine mods to be cheap and have an engine that reacts on them nicely. But that god d mn extreme angle on a drift would be awesome. Mainly on a low-down:

Me want= (Drift + Nice Acceleration - Price)*(Engine Reactivity to engine mods)

Having me want = the highest possible amount

There's some Calculus I will pay attention to

Sly
Old 04-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Well I put the options up top...For a drift car, most of the time they dont go over 350HP...Both the SR and RB20 will be great to mod till there. But it will be easier to buy SR and mod it up to there.

Its all up to you...I would go stock SR...get used to it then mod it from there. Remember, its all bout seat time.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:37 AM

Personally the deciding factor between the SR and the RB20 is weight. The SR being aluminum and a 4 cylinder is a bit lighter than the iron block 6 that is the RB20.

From a pure performance drifting standpoint the SR is the way to go (especially since RB parts are hard to come by).

I am in no way bagging on the RB20 I love it, I still am planning on putting one in my 240 when I get the funds. But I am pretty sure that both the RB20 and SR20 have similar HP potential and the SR is easier to install/find parts for and is lighter.

Side note: The RB25 is a killer engine but I think it is too heavy to put in the front of a drift 240. If you wanted a drag car, hell yeah RB25 would be sick.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by SlyGrin
I know drifting is mainly suspension, but I would like a car that if some f cks with me on the highway, i want to show them that my car is far from normal, and I want a drifter when I want to have fun. I mean with over/understeering (which I do not nearly comprehend enough) taking into account and what engine could do both extremely good? I would def. like after engine mods to be cheap and have an engine that reacts on them nicely. But that god d mn extreme angle on a drift would be awesome. Mainly on a low-down:

Me want= (Drift + Nice Acceleration - Price)*(Engine Reactivity to engine mods)

Having me want = the highest possible amount

There's some Calculus I will pay attention to

Sly
I am a noob to the site, but if you don't understand Over/Understeer, I'll help ya there. Over steer is when the rear end of a car slides out, the fn part of a drift. Understeer is when the front of your car slips out, which can be good or bad. When you are drifting, most take full advatage of oversteer, because most don't understand how to use the understeer to their advantage. If you want extreme angle drifts, you will have to know how to use understeer. When you are completely sidewayz, and ready to start the desent from the drift, the countersteer will help you break out the front wheels, so you can get strait again. Getting sidewayz is always fun, but getting strait again is what matters.
The engine differance is weight and power. The SR20DET, which I assume you are referring, at most, stock, from the S15 Silvia, makes 250hp, which is very decent, and the engine I have under the hood of my JDM Sil-Eighty. It's a great engine and veru light, and won't allow to much unwanted understeering, because it doesn't lean onto the front axle as much as the heavier RB20DET/RB20DETT. The RB20DET is sourced from earlier Skyline GT-S' and the RB20DETT is soursed from GT-R's and are slightly heavier than the SR20DET. They promote more tire wear from unwanted understeer, but put out about 271-325, depending on the model of the engine. The RB26DETT is sourced from the newest R34 GT-R's, and are very powerful, pulling a massive 370 HP, at factory tuned boost levels. It is much heavier than the SR20DET, promoting massive unwanted understeer. This engine was souley designed for the GT-R, which sports all wheel drive. In a Rear drive Vehicle, this engine would take a pro driver/drifter to control the understeer caused by the massive load hanging over the front axle. In a Silvia/240, it would only work in a top suspension, road racing vehicle, but not in drifting. But if you wanted souly a street racer, this would be the preffered engine. I personally would take the RB20DETT, if I had the cash, but I don't, so I'll be content with my 300 HP SR20DET.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Drift....you have a lot of misinformation

There is no factory RB20DETT...only RB20DET/RB25DET/RB26DET. RB20s came in R32 GTS-T and the Cefiro IIRC, but that was a redtop. The understeer can be counterd by stiffer springs/bigger sways in the front. And BTW...the RB20DET is anywhere from $500-$1000 dollars chaeper then the SR, and puts out more power. The biggest downfall is the lack of aftermarket parts/Support.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member

this belong in motor swaps
Old 04-16-2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Drift....you have a lot of misinformation

There is no factory RB20DETT...only RB20DET/RB25DET/RB26DET. RB20s came in R32 GTS-T and the Cefiro IIRC, but that was a redtop. The understeer can be counterd by stiffer springs/bigger sways in the front. And BTW...the RB20DET is anywhere from $500-$1000 dollars chaeper then the SR, and puts out more power. The biggest downfall is the lack of aftermarket parts/Support.
hey hyjinks, i plan on doin rb20, and sure there is no aftermarket support but it wont be a problem. i prefer to use gtr fuel pump, gtr34 intercooler, etc. catch my drift?
Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lionel
hey hyjinks, i plan on doin rb20, and sure there is no aftermarket support but it wont be a problem. i prefer to use gtr fuel pump, gtr34 intercooler, etc. catch my drift?
Of course there is aftermarkt support, but not as big as SR
Old 04-16-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Of course there is aftermarkt support, but not as big as SR
well i know there is in japan, it's all over the place there, but as far as the american ppl can get ahold of, it's alot harder for em, til then, just scavenge off other nissans.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

there is no reason to use a gtr fuelpump becasue a walbro 255lph will out flow it for less
Old 04-17-2004, 09:38 PM

how much is the walbro fuel pump?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lionel
how much is the walbro fuel pump?
$80-$100

Quick Reply: sr20 vs. rb20 vs.rb25