Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

SR20DET engine swap and Cali smog info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 01:50 PM

SR20DET engine swap and Cali smog info.

Ok, so if I swap out my engine to the turbo SR20DET I would assume it would no longer be smog legal....correct? If I connected all of the correct smog equip to the engine would it be legal? I am sure plenty of you guys have real life experience with this. Do you just got to find a smog hook up?

Also I just picked up a '90 240sx hatchback for really cheap and due to the fact that I got a DUI (stupid, I know) I wont be able to drive for awhile. So plenty of time to fix a car up. The chassis has 215k miles on it. The motor has about 75k miles on it. Not sure about the tranny. The car squeeks and rattles quite a bit and I think there is a break leak. It seems to squeek mostly when coming to a stop. Do you think the squeeking is coming from the breaks. (it sounds similar to a squeeky spring, it's weird, but I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from...)

Also do you think this car worth putting the money into it for an engine, tranny, ecu, suspension, brake upgrade/swap??? I'm afraid because it does have 215k miles. That's alot of miles, you know?

Any info would be appreciated...and I do realize that my question really is a matter of personal opinion. Just wanted to know what you guys think about it. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

SR20DEt is not legal in Cali... technically it's not legal for highway use anywhere in the USA, but Cali is one of the few states that will catch you. Unless you know in advance that you have a smog hookup, don't do it.

With the low cost of S13's in general, why settle for one in rough shape at that mileage? It's not like you don't have the time to save a little more for a better starting point.

I hope the SR is close to free for that mileage. 75k is about double what most engine sellers claim for mileage. Be sure to fully test it before giving them any $$$$ for it.

-Justin
Old 01-15-2003, 10:03 AM

Actually it is basically for free. I bought a brand new car that the person is taking over payments on and she is giving me this car for free. The motor was already in it. They replaced it I believe.

So should I try to build up a KA24 instead? What kind of options do I have for it? What's the cost to turbo that engine? How cheap can I get a new engine and transmission? Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

To do a nice turbo on a stock bottom end KA24DE is probably gojng to cost around $5k tuned and installed if you can do a good amount of the work yourself.

Low mileage KA24DE will usually cost around $800-$1000. Transmission another $150-$300.

Turbo kit will cost ~$3000. You can probably assemble a better setup yourself for just a little more... or possibly the same price if you find a deal on a manifold or turbo. A lot of the stuff will have to be custom - like downpipe, IC/IC plumbing. The electronics can be a headache to get all together at once. A JWT ECU may save you a lot of headaches in this area.

Also, the price goes up considerably if you want to run high boost because you will need to build the bottom end with at least new forged lower compression pistons.

It is probably cheaper to swap in another SR20DET if you can sneak it through smog.

-Justin
Old 02-11-2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Justin.b
SR20DEt is not legal in Cali... technically it's not legal for highway use anywhere in the USA, but Cali is one of the few states that will catch you. Unless you know in advance that you have a smog hookup, don't do it.
can you elaborate on this? i live in cali and i was planning on an sr20det daily driver...why is this illegal?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:29 AM

the sr20det is a JDM engine and doesnt pass smog tests in cali
Old 02-11-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by clikzip
the sr20det is a JDM engine and doesnt pass smog tests in cali
ok well i have a hook up for smog. but if a cop pulled me over could he tow the car just for the sr20 even if i passed smog?