NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Cannot Smog Test - No check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Cannot Smog Test - No check engine light

I scheduled a smog test today (in California) and the testing station wouldn't smog the car because the check engine light doesn't come on when he flips the key. As long as I have owned the car, a check engine light has never appeared when the key is switched. The car is a 1990 and was originally in Washington state, but was moved to California in 1994. I read somewhere that the check engine light was in California models only, is this correct?

As I stated, I don't ever recall seeing a check engine light appear when flipping the ignition and it has never been a problem with testing until now. The station wouldn't test it....said he would have to fail it automatically since the check engine light wasn't present and it was required for all vehicles since 1990.

Can anyone shed some light on this.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

bulb may have blown out or last person removed it because they didn't wanna get the car fixed.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM

The smog testing station said the check engine light should be in the top middle of the cluster. I told him thats not the case, as those lights are my high beam and turn signal indicators.

I pulled the cluster to double check and sure enough, there cluster is clearly marked, HB (High beam), TL and TR (turn indicators). No where on the cluster shows a check engine indicator.

Am I missing something here.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM

I think I have it figured out.

I called the local Nissan station, of course they were of no help. Service insisted an indicator light has to be present, then said I or someone must have tampered with the car.

But I found this.....according to my owners manual, check engine light is only equipped on California model vehicles. Since my car originated in Washington, it looks like its a 49 state car.

Now, I just have to bring my manual in and show the testing station.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

No, your car should have a check engine light. It is in the very lower left hand side of the cluster. It is just an amber light that comes on under a picture of the engine. All 240s have a check engine light, it just comes on for more things on the california model than the regular one.

Last edited by ryguy; 09-14-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 PM

Yeah....Like a faulty egr
Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ryguy
No, your car should have a check engine light. It is in the very lower left hand side of the cluster. It is just an amber light that comes on under a picture of the engine. All 240s have a check engine light, it just comes on for more things on the california model than the regular one.
My car doesn't have it. On the lower left indicators, there are 5 lights. On mine, only 3 are active. Mine has a low fuel light, low washing fluid light and cruise. The 3rd and 5th lights (from left to right) have no markings.

Here's a pick I found, my cluster is exactly the same.
Attached Thumbnails Cannot Smog Test - No check engine light-dscf0250.jpg  
Old 09-15-2007, 07:56 AM

I just found this pic of a cluster with Check Engine light, it looks to be the 5th indicator, as the 3rd would be anti-lock.
Attached Thumbnails Cannot Smog Test - No check engine light-intellic1.jpg  
Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 AM

Good News

After talking with the Referee station and getting advice from them, I took it back to the testing station and explained that there is no check engine light and it has never been an issue testing in other counties. (I moved to another county 2 years ago that only has sniffers, no dyno, go figure I'm having a harder time). Showed them the owners manual that the check engine light was on California models only, so they agreed to test.

All my worries were for not. Car passed with flying colors. My HC test was slightly above average (average 20, measured 24 @ 2500 RPM) and the CO below average at idle and slightly above at 2500 rpm. Not bad for a 17 year old car with the original cat. Prior to test, replaced the oxygen sensor, cap/rotor, oil and pcv valve.

Thank god its done, worried it was going to be a gross polluter.