Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Turbo Help Needed , Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM

Turbo Help Needed , Please!!!

OK long story short , My 1997 SR 240sx ( T28 BB turbo) has been lacking its normal power as of late , so I checked the turbo and to my suprise the fins are just starting to rub...slight metal shavings from them rubbing and a little of thrush bearing play.???

I have no boost leaks that i know off. I have noticed since i put my HKS ss on that sometimes i hear compressor surge , But someone told me that the HKS ss at low boost sounds like that!!

Im going to get ther Turbo rebuilt but I dont wanna put it back on until I can figure out why it went bad to begin with ??

I have a S14 motor , Blitz FMIC and Piping , HKS ss BOV, GreddyTT, Greddy BC , Greddy pulleys , SPEC stage 2 clutch, RPS 3 inch DP and exhaust , The motor only has about 65K on it and I run about 8-9 psi daily ... 14 at the track or racing , not that often.
Clean Oil , And runs nice and cool...I keep the maintenance up as well!

Any suggestions will be helpful , Thanks in advance!

Old 08-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

1st thing-STOP driving it! These shavings will find their way into your engine thru the intake, or thru the oil drain from the turbo. Most often when a turbo gets worn out it's because the owner used crappy oil and/or didn't allow the car to cool down a little before shut down, therefore turning the oil to carbon inside the turbo and destroying the bearings over time. Parts of these bearings will end up in your motor sooner or later, and we know what happens then The turbo your'e running is very picky to having clean oil being it's ball bearing, and it doesn't take much to blow them apart. I've taken apart a supra turbo engine that had come apart when turbo bearing pieces went into the oil. Head gasket blew, oil got water in it, turbo bearings got water in them, bearings came apart, parts of bearings went into the oil...errr oil/water, then got pumped into the cam bearings where they spun in between the cam and head, and finally the cam seized and broke in the head. Enough to give any motorhead nightmares for a week:cry:
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

Check your turbo's oil lines too for carbon the feed and the drainline.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:16 AM

Thats whats puzzleing me, I use MOBIL 1 , change oil every 3K , Turbo timer is set to 30 sec. and I dont drive hard alot.... I dont know , I will be checking oil lines soon , What is the best way to get this car back on the road ... T3/T4 setup or just rebuild this turbo and make it a little bigger?