Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

v8 240 advice

Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM

v8 240 advice

alright im probably going to get told to search.. but ive been searching and im looking for a better or more exact answer. I have seen answers to some of these questions.. but im trying to get them all in one place.
if someone can point me in the right direction thats great.
anyway.. im in the process of a chevy gen 1 355 swap into an s13 coupe. there are only a couple things i need help with. I'm not worried about hood clearance right now ill work on that later, what i need to know is:

A) can i modify the oil pan and pickup to fit with out hacking up my crossmember
(this is what i would prefer) i was thinking possibly extending the oil pickup tube to the front of the pan and just fabricating a pan with basically a front sump.

OR can i buy a premodified oil pan that would allow clearance with little to no crossmember modding

B) do i need to notch my firewall at all and if so where? im using an old
T-10 4speed with some internal upgrades. I picked this for its small size and mechanical simplicity. i figured that with its small size it would make less firewall fabrication necessary.

C)what have most Gen 1 swappers done for mounts? i know there is always full custom (which may be best) but also there are universal small block chevy mounts that hot rod and rat rod builders use. would these work well?

D) power steering. ill be using block hugger headers and should be able to perform any mods needed to get them to clear.. any special tricks to getting clearance?

thanks alot in advance. if these questions have been answered before please point me in the right direction. I've been reasearching for a long time now while slowly rebuilding the motor.. and its getting to the point where its time to get her dropped in. so im trying to get a general consensus on these things.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

www.hinsonsupercars.com

All your answers in one place. Email Brian Hinson, great guy who will explain everything the best he can.