Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

VQ35DE (350Z/G35 engine) in a '95 SE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 09:08 PM

VQ35DE (350Z/G35 engine) in a '95 SE?

Does anyone have any idea if this is even feasible?

I like the idea of swapping a Nissan engine that's actually street legal in the US. Plus it makes just the kind of power I'd want out of a turbo KA or SR swap, without the turbo complexity.

If anyone knows anything about these engines or could tell me what kind of work would be necessary, it would be greatly appreciated. This is still about a year down the road (after I graduate and make some nice spending cash), but I want to have a game plan as early as possible. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

i'd guess this swap would be similar to the VG swap. so research that first, since you still have time before you start spendin money.
but like anytoher swap you'll need the ECU, and uncut harness,
sumthing for the engine to mount to. peep the diffrences between VG/VG crossmembers and motor mounts.

get an idea of the engine weight and how you plan on setting up the suspension.
the tranny mount and the driveshaft.
there is alot of research to be done. but once you are fully informed you are good. then it is time to break out the tools.
keep me informed. i got my RB25 clip so i'm ready to get busy. but then it's off to another project, that sounds intresting.

Rude
Old 12-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Contributing Member

Re: VQ35DE (350Z/G35 engine) in a '95 SE?

The VQ35DE should be swappable into the 240SX without too many major problems. Since it is a US engine, you wouldn't have to worry about steering or anything like that. The only thing that concerns me is the size of the VG engines.....and VQ engines since they are V6. They take up a lot of room in the engine bay which doesn't leave you too much for work space.

Nissan in the past has used the same frame mounts for the engine subframe on their RWD cars such as the 180SX, Fairlady Z, and the Skyline. If this is true of the new VQ series engine, it should swap in with ease, but wiring and setting the rest up would be the problem....or would it? I don't know, haven't researched the swap.

As far as that engine being legal, you are correct, it is legal in the US, but only in the 350Z and G35. If you swap it into a 240SX, it wouldn't be legal since it would greatly offset the power to weight ratio and you would no longer have a KA series engine in your car.

As far as the swap goes, it would be unique and a definate claim to fame, but would it be worth the money? I suppose if you found a wrecked engine (very unlikely right now) at a junk yard and picked it up for a few G's it would be ok, but if you were to buy that engine new, (just shooting numbers out my *** here) it would probably cost you over $10,000 just for the engine and transmission. Nissan would also charge you over $2,000 for the wiring harness (the 240SX harness costs over $2000 and it's an older car), and then you would be charged probably another $1000 or so for the ECU. After that you would need the driveshaft which should bolt straight to the 240SX rear suspension assembly.

Hope this info may help you a little, if I am wrong, please correct me as I don't have hardly any knowledge of this swap.

Night

Originally posted by jtsarnak
Does anyone have any idea if this is even feasible?

I like the idea of swapping a Nissan engine that's actually street legal in the US. Plus it makes just the kind of power I'd want out of a turbo KA or SR swap, without the turbo complexity.

If anyone knows anything about these engines or could tell me what kind of work would be necessary, it would be greatly appreciated. This is still about a year down the road (after I graduate and make some nice spending cash), but I want to have a game plan as early as possible. Thanks.

Last edited by NightXCZ77; 12-19-2002 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:37 PM

Have fun finding that engine and doing the swap. It will be very involved.

Late
Old 12-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Just a couple of notes - the VQ30DE/VQ35DE are DOHC motors and are significantly wider than the older SOHC. You will probably not be able to squeeze them between the 240's strut towers.

The swap would be legal. It is legal to swap a later motor into an older car (of the same type - no truck to passenger car swaps) as long as you maintain all of the emissions control equipment from the newer motor.

Just getting the motor/tranny will be an expensive proposition. I doubt you will find a RWD VQ35DE for less than $5k... so be 100% sure you can fit it before proceeding. And keep in mind that $5k can probably get you ~300hp at the wheels from a turbo KA or modified SR if you are doing the work yourself.

-Justin
Old 12-21-2002, 01:40 PM

Thanks fellas.

My concern about doing a KA-T is that I'd be adding the turbo (which for me means more things to go wrong under the hood) and it means adding to an engine that already has 106k on it. Granted, I could rebuild it (like getting the head redone, putting in new, lower compression pistons to help out the turbo, etc.) but that quickly adds to the price of almost $4000 for a turbo kit (I definitely don't want to build my own as I'm not that knowledgeable). However, this does have the potential to make considerable power, have a nice, fat power band and could probably still pass inspection with a little tweaking.

My concern about doing an SR swap is mainly passing inspections and the tendency to make nice power only in the higher RPMs. I plan to make this my car for several years, upgrading as I go, etc. So passing inspection is a must. It's also an auto and while I'm indecisive about doing the manual swap, it's still an engine that tends to make power higher up. So it's great for drag racing where you never get below a certain RPM point, but for daily driving excitement, you experience the engine's real power much less frequently. But it has the bonus of being a much newer engine than mine in terms of miles and is probably the least costly route to take.

What I liked about the VQ was the fact that it makes ~240-250 at the wheels (which would be where I'd want to be if I chose either the KA-T or the SR), it does so without a turbo, has a wide powerband like the KA, and it would pass inspection without a problem. Now I know I'd want to pull one out of a wrecked car, paying for brand new stuff from Nissan would kill me. And I know there's just not a whole lot of them around to be able to find a junked one easily, but like I said, I won't have the funds for some time and that will give people plenty of opportunity to get stupid in their new sports car and give me an engine . This would also have the added bonus of getting me an engine with considerably less miles than the KA.

If anyone sees a flaw in this reasoning, or can provide their own experiences with either the KA-T or SR it would be appreciated.

I'd like to hear from people who drive it daily, not those who use it for street racing or drag racing.
1. Which are you running, KA-T or SR?
2. What kind of power are you making?
3. Have you ever passed an inspection with it?
4. Do you feel the power is always there or primarily after 4000 rpms?
5. Anything else you want to add that might be helpful.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:31 AM

Lightbulb all questions will be answered. just listen

Originally posted by jtsarnak
Thanks fellas.

My concern about doing a KA-T is that I'd be adding the turbo (which for me means more things to go wrong under the hood) and it means adding to an engine that already has 106k on it. Granted, I could rebuild it (like getting the head redone, putting in new, lower compression pistons to help out the turbo, etc.) but that quickly adds to the price of almost $4000 for a turbo kit (I definitely don't want to build my own as I'm not that knowledgeable). However, this does have the potential to make considerable power, have a nice, fat power band and could probably still pass inspection with a little tweaking.

My concern about doing an SR swap is mainly passing inspections and the tendency to make nice power only in the higher RPMs. I plan to make this my car for several years, upgrading as I go, etc. So passing inspection is a must. It's also an auto and while I'm indecisive about doing the manual swap, it's still an engine that tends to make power higher up. So it's great for drag racing where you never get below a certain RPM point, but for daily driving excitement, you experience the engine's real power much less frequently. But it has the bonus of being a much newer engine than mine in terms of miles and is probably the least costly route to take.

What I liked about the VQ was the fact that it makes ~240-250 at the wheels (which would be where I'd want to be if I chose either the KA-T or the SR), it does so without a turbo, has a wide powerband like the KA, and it would pass inspection without a problem. Now I know I'd want to pull one out of a wrecked car, paying for brand new stuff from Nissan would kill me. And I know there's just not a whole lot of them around to be able to find a junked one easily, but like I said, I won't have the funds for some time and that will give people plenty of opportunity to get stupid in their new sports car and give me an engine . This would also have the added bonus of getting me an engine with considerably less miles than the KA.

If anyone sees a flaw in this reasoning, or can provide their own experiences with either the KA-T or SR it would be appreciated.

I'd like to hear from people who drive it daily, not those who use it for street racing or drag racing.
1. Which are you running, KA-T or SR?
2. What kind of power are you making?
3. Have you ever passed an inspection with it?
4. Do you feel the power is always there or primarily after 4000 rpms?
5. Anything else you want to add that might be helpful.

Thanks guys.
Go to backyard-productions.com maybe it's one word, im not too sure. Go check them out. then get that crazy scheme bout putting a 350z engine in a 240 out yer head. If you got, or will have the money to do such an expensive, and what i call pointless swap, why not just buy a frigging 350z and get all the added goodies. Hello, why buy the cow, when you're getting the milk for free?
Old 03-14-2003, 09:38 AM

a vg swap would be really nice...torque would be incredible and the engine is soooo smooth...
Old 03-18-2003, 07:54 PM

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/vb...threadid=16563