Seat dilemma: sitting lower in the 240 and where to mount harness

Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Seat dilemma: sitting lower in the 240 and where to mount harness

So, I want to sit lower in my s14. I am 6'1" and my head sorta hits the ceiling some times, when it's not poking up into the moon roof area. I also want to start doing solo2 and there is no way in hell I can wear a helmet with this current setup.
So I started exploring seating options and found that I will have to go with a bucket seat with side mount rails to get it to sit lower. I would prefer a reclineable seat for convenience but I am willing to make the sacrifice as that seems like my only option. I've read that the bride "ultra low" rails put the seat right on the floor and still allow you to slide it forward and back.
With a bucket seat I will need a 4-5 point harness. My question is how to connect the harness into my car without having a roll cage and keeping my backseat... I would be willing to run some of the straps over the back seat in such a way that no one could sit behind me... but I would prefer to leave the back seat area clear.
If anyone has insight into a good seat to run that sits nice and low, or how to connect up the harness please let me know. I'd like to get everything purchased and setup in the next couple weeks if possible.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM

im not 100% sure how, or if you are even still looking. but i have seen people that fasten the straps for their harnesses in between where the rear seats meet at the bend. im fairly positive that iv seen one person do it in a s14 and know for a fact that they do it in s13s.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM

When mounting the shoulder straps for your harnesses I HIGHLY reccomend a harness bar at minumum. I know in the drag world that you want the shoulder belts to go UP slightly from your shoulder and to the mount or over a bar. The reason is that having harness straps that just run down from your shoulder you have the risk of compressing your spine in a crash. I know you want to keep the back seats free, but the inconvience of crawling under a bar to get back there is better than a crushed spine in an accident. Herniated disks suck royally. Take a look at the bars available in the mustang world for ideas. I also reccomend running the harnesses into the stock seat or belt mointing points as they are designed to hold you in. This setup probably means removing your harnesses if you want passengers in the rear, so the decision on running with harnesses is up to you. My personal rule is "Number of doors equals total people in the car. 2 Doors, 2 People."

---Matt
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

take out the headliner, take out the sunroof retracting mechanism and just leave the glass panel. then buy a sunroofless headliner and install it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 PM

i understand your delemia because i am also 6'1 and have to leave the slider for the sunroof open or my head will bump it. i have a set of Recaro speed seats i havnt installed yet because i cant find seat brackets at a decent price, so i decided that im just going to make my own. it might be in your best interest to find someone who weld your stock brackets to your new setup, that way you can determine what is most comfortable height for you. and like Lord Umoja said, harness bar is the way to go. basically you and me are probablly going to be running similar setups
Old 11-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

i think adam should say something here, he's a giant and fits fine...
Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM

Bride makes seats especially for people like us. I am 6'3" and the Bride Low Max is a low sitting seat, coupled with the low brackets you will have no problems. About the harness settup. Find a safe place to drill a hole, in the metal seat bench just below the back seat cussion and mount the harness to an i bolt, looks like a bolt with a O on the end. I recomend reinforsing behind the metal bench with a 2" X 2" steel plate about 1/4" in thickness for added durability. Hit me up if you need any more asistance. My email is open to all, but myspace is the best place to catch me.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

they have seats which sit lower. so low that you will just be able to see the road if you are like say my length which is 72 inches long

edit: steve beat me to it lol
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaban
i think adam should say something here, he's a giant and fits fine...
lol i missed this thread haha yea im 6'8 my first s14 was a pain... it had a sunroof everytime i went to an auto-x id have to open it and my head slightly tilted (not very safe). now i have a s14 with no sunroof and i have considerable space just enough with a helmet.

but i will end up getting a bucket seat later because i need the seat to go farther back as of now since i got an aftermarket steering wheel with a large spacer my legs are fine but i still cant pull the ebrake because my knees are in the way...

dont worry im used to it.... ill be driving my moms CR-V and the sunroof opens on its own then i come to realize my knee is hitting the sunroof button on the dash lol.