General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

240sx 101

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

no matter the year, civics are just still fun a$$ car to beat the crap out of on a windy road. Not saying that it's as fast or as fun as other cars, but still fun. Kind of like that not that hot ex-girlfriend you always keep hookin' up with just to get some.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

LMFAO... thats beautiful... i might quote that in my sig
Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Hey Kid, here's some thought:

You're a kid, sorry.. but you are. I'm only 23... but the fact of the matter is driving experience plays the biggest role in what you're going to do to your car. Drifting... Racing... these are things that inspire a lot of people to get into the 240, however... the majority end up w/o a car because they think they can drive. If you're going to get a car to mod up, I think you should take more time and effort into researching mechanics and performance. The more you know about engines, suspension etc... the more you're going to understand what car fits you more. As well, you won't be 23 looking up info on forums, cuz' you'll probably already know it

I think a 240 is a great first car, I think a Honda is a great first car, they're bot reliable, affordable, and mod'able cars. Regardless of what car you get, if you don't respect it and the road, you'll be shopping for car #2 very shortly.

If you decide to get a car for racing/drifting.. or speeding around, Remember the crucial components aren't the ones that make you go faster, they're the ones that keep YOU in controll while you're going fast. Tires... Brakes... Suspension... also keep in mind, 240sx's are basically a 'fixer upper' there are a lot of 240's out there, but most of the Buy'n'Drives are gone, so what's left is the ones that need work... from rust, electrical, horrible maintence... You're also going to need Registration, Insurance... Understand that you're still in HS, if you got a car now... learned how to work on it and understand the machine.... and neglect adding a bodykit now, some rims... do a motor swap, and a big stereo... When entering college, you'll have more money... more knowledge... and a car that's ready for the improvements.

My Advice, as if talking to myself at your age... would be buy a car that's just a car, your first car is rarely your favorite.. and if it is, you'll end up losing it one way or another. Use your first car as a tool... like I said, the mechanics... the maintenence... Put your money aside and when you graduate give yourself a present and invest in a great car.

The Reality of it is, you don't even know who you are... you've got a lot of changes ahead of you and these next few years are the biggest. Your opinions, your beliefs, your needs... are all going to change drastically. Don't get caught up in the hype of highschool... Everyone there is going to have these same changes. If you're smart, you can plan for the future, Sure.. the guy with the Civic gets the cheerleader now, but when You're driving on campus with an S-13 /SR20DET/S-15 Conversion and you did It all yourself. He's going to **** himself because his civic breaks down because he doesn't know how to maintain the car and all his money is in his duct taped body kit and the tickets he got from thinking he was the ****.

As for whoever said "I hate civics" then said "I don't hate civics just the 7/10 owners..." dude, seriously... the majority of honda owners don't change ANYTHING on their ride. Now, there are the ricers that change every possible APC offered modification... but that's true in ANY Car, Nissan, Honda, chevy.. c'mon get real.

You can't diss a quality machine because of the people who own them. "SCREW THE CORVETTE PIECE OF CRAP!" yeah right, it's a beautiful car... amazing engineering... simply because most the guys drive 30mph in a 45, doesn't mean the car sucks.... In a post where we're trying to teach a kid about being smart, respectful and careful of what he says. You kind of messed that up. Just an opinion...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

i kinda agree with that.. but i feel that if you really enjoy your first car, youll be more inclined to take better care of it while youre still interested in learning about it... my 2 cars have been my 2 favorites so far... not that ive wrecked either of them... i just smoked the clutch in my legend... and i need to register my 240. The point is... learn the car, learn the maintenance, keep it up, and youll have agood car... unless you bought a GM.. then youre screwed... sorry i just think GM makes some ****ty cars... their trucks are the bomb diggity

And dont flame me about "oh their new cars are good" andall this b.s. cuz if hes just getting a car, it wont be anywhere close to new (or i hope not for his sake).
Old 02-11-2006, 01:25 PM

Rival cars eh? I guess you are trying to figure out what cars were put out by different manf. to compete with sales and such. Well here are a few...

Mazda MX-6
Ford Probe
Dodge Avenger
Mitsu Eclipse
Toyota Celica

These were just a few of the cars that Nissan was slated over taking over in their market class. Not all of them were in the same "class", but the desired effect is still there. To sway drivers to buy a 240 vs the others.

And FWIW, all of those forementioned cars can become very competitive with each manf. racing division.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by LA_phantom_240
unless you bought a GM.. then youre screwed... sorry i just think GM makes some ****ty cars... their trucks are the bomb diggity
What an asnine and biased thing to say. I don't care how far you go back, Chevrolet has had just as many nice cars as bad cars (this goes for every manf.). And for the part about the trucks, apparently you have never heard about the gas tank explosions with the 80's Chebby trucks.

The Vette, absolute american heritage when it comes to cars. Not ****ty. Colorado, peice of junk. Z71, overpriced peice of junk. Camaro, fast car; bad build quality. Cavilar, good car; bad build quality, but reliable. I could go on and on, with every car company but, I won't. Think b4 you speak.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

i think, therefore GM is poorly built... sorry, but ive had a lot of bad experiences with build quality of american cars.. and before you catch on fire and start saying"well that's your experience not everyone else's, you may have had a lemon" I understand that, but that doesnt change the fact i, and most people i know, have had bad expericences with gm vehicles. Anything ranging form faulty waterpumps that became almost impossible to remove because the pump housing literally shattered. Things like that, and the ride quality in cars like the cavalier, corsica, caprice... all sucked a fat ****...other than that, just poor construction of chevy's in general... and interiors of early mitsubishis too... but they just used thin plastic...

This is also my opinion and limited experience with these cars. Just like everyone else, im entitled to my opinion. Im open to debates, but i dont wanna get into an e-argument and have both ppl look like retards. Cuz fighting online is like running in the special olympics; even if you win, youre still a retard. So lets not fight about it, but rather debate, that way we both come out with a better outlook on the situation

Last edited by LA_phantom_240; 02-11-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and they all stink.

Here are my thoughts:

You come on to this board expressing your interests in a 240, a car that you obviously know nothing about. Instead of us giving you this information, you can freely look it up. Actually, I made a post with almost every single technical specification of the 240 (I got flamed for it), but it basically covers EVERYTHING. Go look that up and let me know how you feel afterwards.

No one cares if you've been driving since you were 13. I've been driving since I was 15, and I'm 21. I still don't have 100% control of my car, and I doubt that in your two years you "know what you're doing". Don't get a 240 to be in the bandwagon of what everyone else wants now. Get a 240 because it serves you a purpose(Getting you from point A to point B, perhaps). Good luck, buddy.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by phadedj

As for whoever said "I hate civics" then said "I don't hate civics just the 7/10 owners..." dude, seriously... the majority of honda owners don't change ANYTHING on their ride. Now, there are the ricers that change every possible APC offered modification... but that's true in ANY Car, Nissan, Honda, chevy.. c'mon get real.
Ok first of all, that wasn't the same person that said both of those things. I said the second one. Secondly, If you think about it, it's probably different depending where you live. In a large part of town close to where I live, LITTERALLY about 6 civics out of every 10 you see on the road are just fagged out. I'm not trying to be racist or stereotypical or anything buts its mostly latinos. Third, of course many people rice out cars that arent honda's, but you cannot honestly tell me that the vast majority of riced out cars on the road ARE in fact, Honda Civics. C'mon get real.

Keep in mind, I have nothing against civics in themselves. I want everyone to know that straight up. I just can't stand to see one more civic with a ridiculous wing and chrome painted rims. That whole fad thing is just putting honda's to shame.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Initial Daniel
Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and they all stink.

Here are my thoughts:

You come on to this board expressing your interests in a 240, a car that you obviously know nothing about. Instead of us giving you this information, you can freely look it up. Actually, I made a post with almost every single technical specification of the 240 (I got flamed for it), but it basically covers EVERYTHING. Go look that up and let me know how you feel afterwards.

No one cares if you've been driving since you were 13. I've been driving since I was 15, and I'm 21. I still don't have 100% control of my car, and I doubt that in your two years you "know what you're doing". Don't get a 240 to be in the bandwagon of what everyone else wants now. Get a 240 because it serves you a purpose(Getting you from point A to point B, perhaps). Good luck, buddy.
Okay, first off, i hope that wasnt directed toward me. Second, you posted a list of tech specs? Sweet, but why did you get flamed for THAT? I agree with the whole car control thing. just cuz youve been doing something for a million years doesnt mean you can do it perfect everytime, go watch the drift bible. Thirdly, for the record, i had my 240 since i was 14, and was WAY before "drift" was a common word. Okay so maybe it was only 4 years ago.. but still. I got it cuz i had always had a thing for the Z cars, and they reminded me of them and look oh so pimp. My 240 has sentimental value to me.

Anyways, isnt this supposed to be 240sx 101, or is it flame about civics, rice, and poor internet skills?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:11 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong either. GM's good reputation went out the window in the mid 70's, so don't think I'm a fan of theirs. I'm a Ford man, and have been since I was as old as I can remember. If ya notice, I even said they were bad build quality.

I've been working on cars longer than I have driven. I was actually scared of driving the a car until I was 13. But dad made me drive around in a chevette in a feild that birthday. Fell in love with it. I'm now 27, and had tons of cars under my belt already. From 60's Mustangs, 70's trucks and boats (monte carlo baby!), 80's camaros (z and irocs), 80's mustangs (still have some!), mini-trucks, full size 4x4's, 4 wheelers, argos, forklift (gas, electric and propane), cherry pickers, golf carts, and pallet jacks.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is I agree ID. Been driving too long and I know that nobody ever has 100% of a car. Anything can happen. I bought this 240 because I have always loved the shape of the car. Not even really knowing mucha bout imports. Wanted one for a long time just after high school. But I wasnt going to pay the price tag. Well this one came along and I couldn't pass up the price. Hell the car I own, is in my year book. The guy who owned it was a English/Psychology teacher of mine. Sorry, on a rant.. I'm done.

Last edited by Purple240; 02-12-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:17 AM

or is it flame about civics, rice, and poor internet skills?
Sounds like time for a 200 page thread
Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 AM

Fuck off and die... dont EVER tell someone to buy a civic unless they are a total riceboy

shut up man

the kid comes here asking top speed, what rival cars are what is this tokyo extreme racing. obviously his heads is in a video game of some sort. trust me i was young and stupid too. but i hate everytime i stop at a light everybody and thier mothers tries to race me. sometimes flaming someone helps

so shut the hell up phantom boy
Old 02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

...nah i think ill just keep on my track here. Okay, so maybe he doesnt realize that this is life, not initial D, but come on, wouldnt YOU want to know how fast your next potential car can go? Rival cars, yeah thats a bit juvenile, but he'll learn. we all do.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:50 PM

On a track, road racing at least, if you dont look in your mirrors.... you might have issues. I am 17, have been racing since I was 5. Just got my first 240, dont worry about "speed" learn how to drive it first and work on handeling. Just my opinion

Quick Reply: 240sx 101