General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Battery drain problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Battery drain problem

So I picked up a 240 from a guy on here and it looks like it has a parasitic draw on the battery. I drove the car home and it was fine for a few days until the first battery died. I figured it was just an old battery so I replaced it with a red top and then a few days later that battery was dead aswell.

Today I went out to the 240 with my red top nice and charged to start yanking fuses to find out what was leeching off the battery, no luck though. I pulled every single fuse and relay in all 3 fuse panels but the test light still stayed on. I did noticed that 80% of the fuses were of higher value then they were supposed to be but that's another problem.

I read that pulling the fuses should do the trick so I can track down the problem but that lead me nowhere. Is there anything else that I check to find out what the problem is?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Have there been any mods to the car? Stereo wires perhaps? Wires running through the firewall? Electrical problems in cars can be a nightmare! If you can't find the problem, one solution you could do is install a battery kill switch so you don't drain the battery all the time. Of course that means, no clock/radio presets when you kill the battery.

I will say this though, if its still draining with all the fuses pulled...than you know the wire short/current draw is prior to hitting the fuse boxes. That's what led me to say the firewall. Also, is there an aftermarket alarm? I've seen them cause dead batteries if those wires are hooked up wrong or short out.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

yes check all from ^^

also have the alternator check, it could be over charging.. rare but it can happen.