General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Best After Market Suspension for a stock 240

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 09:50 AM

Best After Market Suspension for a stock 240

If I am looking at getting a new pair of front struts for my S13 (92 SE) , is it better to go with KYB GR2 or AGX .. I read in these posts that GR2 doesnt do a good job with lowering springs .. But are GR2's as good as AGX on stock springs .. How do Tokicos and Konis compare with GR2s ...

comments are appreciated ...
Old 09-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

well if you are going to change the shocks, i would change the springs also IMHO

I really feel that the spring/shock combination adds a world of difference in a car such as ours and that it is definitely worth the added benefit.

But back to your question, GR-2 are very adequate for regular stock suspension for the price, but they are a very stiff ride even for the factory suspension. but i would get a set of sportlines for 189 and some AGX and that would be a great setup.

Tokico-the name says it all-well known and great product for the price. THe Koni's are expensive, and I don't know anyone who has had them but they are suppose to be really good. But that's about all the information that I have for now.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

How much are you looking to spend? You can get a set of coilovers for 1k.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:36 PM

Unhappy

Wish I could afford a Tein setup

My mechanic suggest getting a pair of front struts alone for the time being and with labor the cost of putting in a pair of AGX in the front runs close to 400 bucks ..

Is it absolutely essential to change all 4 struts .. Any disadvantages of running stock shocks on the rear ..

I am still in school and dough is hard to come by
Old 09-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 240fan

Is it absolutely essential to change all 4 struts .. Any disadvantages of running stock shocks on the rear ..

I am still in school and dough is hard to come by
I think to get an even ride I would change them all at the same time. I am driving a car right now that could use a change in shocks so I could only imagine what it would be like if I just did the fronts and left the rears as they are.

I am sorry if I came across like coils are the only solution. They are not by any means. Get what you can afford. Just remember to change the rears when you get some cash.

Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

my 2 fronts were blown... so i knew the backs should be on their way.... so i swapped all of them and got sportlines as well.... the guy did all 4 struts, and springs for 525.... and he delivered the car to my house after he was done... i got gr2's... i couldnt afford agx's even though many people compliment it... my gr2's are just perfect for me... depends what floats your boat...
Old 09-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

are you mechanically inclined?

the 240 is very very easy to change the shocks. its only about 4 bolts on each shock. get a chilton or factory service manual and you'll be ok. you will need some wrenches and a coil compressor, (one can be had for cheap) and the cost of the 4 agx's and you'll be about the price of what your mechanic is charging you to just change the fronts. I myself are in need of some shocks, but $ is tight. I suggest you do it your self and save the labor. also try to cop those sport lines for 189 and you'll be ok.

Its easier than you think.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:13 PM

Malice : Is that 525 just labor ... (I am guessing it is ) .. Thanks guys for your comments .. I really appreeciate it .. Import: I am mechanically inclined .. But I just dont have the tools and one of my best buddies who knows his way with the tools graduated last year .. So I am not sure if I should take my chances on these ..

The mechanic says it will be close 1.5 hrs for each end in labor .. So 6 hrs @ $55 an hour is a whooping 330 bucks in labor alone .. Does it sound outrageous to you guys or is it reasonable ...
So sportlines+AGX installed is a gonna be close to $1K !! Steep man ..

Gotta figure out what to do
Old 09-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

that is alot of money man. around here its around 40 to 50 for each shock. so between 160-200 for labor. i feel that it is very easy and if you have some of the tools, you'll be alright for real. you could use the labor money and get the springs.

I know I'm pro springs/shocks but they make such a nice difference in both looks and driving. BTW malice had everything included. all 4 springs and shock (gr2) and labor for 525.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

yup.... all included ...... where do u live btw ?
Old 09-18-2002, 07:16 PM

North Carolina ..

I just shelled out 270 bucks for replacing my control arms(PDM) .. ofcourse parts+labor ...

200 bucks for labor sounds cheap , really ... May be I should shop around ...
Old 09-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Its really pretty easy to do 240fan. Besides, how else are you gonna learn about your car if you don't give it a shot right? Just take your time, do one side at a time so you have the other side as a reference.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah man, silvia did his own suspension, and I don't think that they are that many tools needed.

Socket set, jack, Coil compressor, manual, and that should be about it.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Factor in the cost of the tools and the time it will take you to do the job. It might take you longer and the tools might be expensive but you will gain knowledge and the tools will always come in handy when you or your friends need work done.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

or do what stan is gonna do... get a lift and charge people for using his sh*t.... joking stan you the man.... but whatever you do with your suspension or with anything with your car, its always nice having helpful friends help u with it... 2 heads are better than one...

Quick Reply: Best After Market Suspension for a stock 240