General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

buying things in Japan......

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 05:17 PM

Thumbs up buying things in Japan......

Well, to start off on the right foot, im 15, about to be 16.

Yes, I know i dont have my 240 yet, i know all that. But, i have a reason for that. Anyways

My sis and my bro-in-law are in Japan for an 18-month tour. Soooo i have been talkin and when their house-hunting time off comes they are going to look at houses and go to the salvage yards to get me stuff.

The thing is, they dont know and i definately dont know where to tell them to start. I dont want to have them run around In Japan, soo If anyone could point me and them in the right direction I would be VERY grateful.

The things im looking for are.....

1. S13 bumper, headlights, wiring, corner lamps, fenders, hood, and if needed to do the conversion, the mounting brackets for the headlights.

2. JDM civic gauge cluster, pedals, shift ****, (for my friends 93 hatch)

3. RB25DET. Yes I know your going to ask why the hell do you want that before u have your car. Reason is, Since im buying this stuff my self, my dad and I made a deal that if i buy the motor, He buys the car and we call it even.

Lastly, any idea how much the S13 front clip would cost roughly?

Thanks guys,
Nate
Old 05-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Well any domestic junk yards in japan should have silvia stuff. And the price for a S13 clip...dont know, but I sure as hell know its going to be less then 2k US
Old 05-15-2004, 07:16 PM

thats a good sign, hopefully it will be the same or cheaper than the front clips at Night7racing, $850 sounds pretty good though

nate
Old 05-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by shift_drift
thats a good sign, hopefully it will be the same or cheaper than the front clips at Night7racing, $850 sounds pretty good though

nate
I've heard clips over in japan range from 800-1300(matters on which engine) but that can all be lies.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:15 PM

yea, i figured i would buy the s13 clip, and hopefully have a blacktop sr20, sell it to someone around here, lots of people want them BTW, the with the money from the motor, buy the rb25

and i would have spent less on a front clip from selling the motor.
man, i wish tickets to Japan weren't 1 grand....

thanks for your help HyJynx you made me happier by seeing that they are less than 2k, makes not have to work as much for that. i can spend on other things... radiator, fuel pump.. mmmmmmm

nate
Old 05-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

yea, i figured i would buy the s13 clip, and hopefully have a blacktop sr20, sell it to someone around here, lots of people want them BTW, the with the money from the motor, buy the rb25

and i would have spent less on a front clip from selling the motor.
man, i wish tickets to Japan weren't 1 grand....

thanks for your help HyJynx you made me happier by seeing that they are less than 2k, makes not have to work as much for that. i can spend on other things... radiator, fuel pump.. mmmmmmm

nate
No problem, I hope my info is right
Old 05-18-2004, 04:37 PM

The problem with these things is just what you said they don't know the parts and will be running around. You can't trust anyone to pull good parts.

Then the shipping back and transport of the goods/storage while you wait to ship. It's not impossible, but it's not a walk in the park either. Shipping from Japan is a lot more expensive than shipping to it from what I have experienced....I am not sure if the containers are different.

What many shops here do is send a couple or one guy over rent a van/truck and get the stuff loaded into a container. Some of the bigger players can have wishlists filled by yards and packed from them, obviously the bigger the fish/repeat business potential the bigger the service.

My wife's family are all car mechanics outside Tokyo in Shizuoka and they have heard of a few americans claiming to be 'big buyers' and want a few 'samples' cheap .

If you can make a niche it's a good business, and the reverse is also good (there are many products here the Japanese would love also).

Good luck
Old 05-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Where in Japan are they stationed? The problem with finding older models in Japan are that they dont sell well & the yards dont keep them around. If you do find one odds are it has been sitting in the junkyard for YEARS.
Not many people over there sink money into cars that are over 5 years old.
In the less traveled places & low population areas. That is where you will find the older stuff. Up in the northern prefectures. If they are going to be in the Tokyo area.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:30 AM

Hey Guys

for their tour they are stationed in Yokuska, if i spelled it right. Its only about an hour away if i remember right. I know they are going to tokyo at one point.
Acoording to my sister and her husband, they will ship this stuff as if they bought a car, the good thing, its FREE.

alkemyst - how far is Shizuoka from Tokyo? maybe they would be interested in a road trip. Also where does your wife's family get the parts from?

Thanks guys this has helped a lot,

nate
Old 05-19-2004, 05:39 PM

thats a good sign, hopefully it will be the same or cheaper than the front clips at Night7racing, $850 sounds pretty good thoug
#1 I'd stay away from Night7racing.
#2 Junk yard shopping in Japan is a MUCH different proposition than in the states. If you don't know the owner or have some kind of commercial license you may have trouble getting in.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:27 PM

Acoording to my sister and her husband, they will ship this stuff as if they bought a car, the good thing, its FREE.
It will only be free if you wait until the end of their tour. ...and they WON'T be able to ship a clip.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 PM

gladhatter - i planned to wait because when they get back is when i get the car..

Im guessing ur military, how come if they will ship a car back, why not a clip, its smaller. lol

i would definately like so more info

thanks
nate
Old 05-19-2004, 06:54 PM

You can ship a "drivable car" IF it is LEGAL on US roads through TMO. An engine needs to be done carefully or they won't touch it.

I am a civilian DoD employee.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

They will ship engines fenders, transmissions, driveshafts, seats, ect...Trust me I know. The JN's dont care. They will pack you trash if you dont watch them. As long as nothing leaks....(Read. Wrap up the engine & tranny in ALOT of very thick bags. When they get there help them load it with a hand truck or something).
I was military. AF to be exact. I was stationed in Misawa. As long as I didnt go over my JFTR I was good to go (even if I did go over there is a slight fee per lb).
I shipped some of the lighter stuff with HouseHold goods & the rest with unaccompanied baggage. I had a 5,000 lb weight limit. It weighted in at 4,760
Old 05-19-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Project Cheap13
They will ship engines fenders, transmissions, driveshafts, seats, ect...Trust me I know. The JN's dont care.
No, the JNs DON'T care. But TMO DOES care. They will ship parts but engines and other parts that have fluids are sometimes trickier. I know people who shipped engines and they had to take them apart to ship.
Originally posted by Project Cheap13
(Read. Wrap up the engine & tranny in ALOT of very thick bags. When they get there help them load it with a hand truck or something).
The customs guy will make you UNWRAP stuff like that.

Quick Reply: buying things in Japan......