General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Car problems! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Car problems! :(

alright, well i jus got my 240sx jus 5 days ago. well i filled the tank up and put some rxp in the tank. ya kno it cleans the engine and other parts, from carbon and what not. well the other day i jump in my car to take a lil ride. i cranked it and it was shaking a lil. so i drove it around and it jus wasnt pullin as hard. so i check the oil, it was fine. then i notice that there sounded like something was rattling i i open the engine oil cap. and saw the cams they where running fine. then i check the spark plugs while the engine was on. yea i kno that stupid but whatever. the first one i pulled did nothing. the 2,3 and 4. jus about killed the car. i re-pull plug 1 and again nothing. so what i think is wrong is that my first spark plug is bad, there really old. and the plugs wires are a lil rusted. so im goin to buy new ones. i also thing there carbon built up in the cad convert. i been driving it around, revving the engine pretty high, to maybe push some of the carbon out. its beginning to run a lil better, but i still need to go to sparks and wires. i plan on doin that friday. nething else that you might think is the problem let me kno.

thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 PM

yeah plugs and wires would help. i'm not sure if this is too good or not but it actually helped my car alot, what i did was took any vacuum hose that pulls into the intake(that doesn't shut off the car if unplugged) but goes right into the intake manifold. unplug that so you can put the hose to your finger and feel the vacuum, then while its running suck up like a quarter or half a can of seafoam. your car will smoke like crazy and may want to die, just keep it running by revving and stuff, it'll smoke for like 10 mins or something but when its done, like mine, will rev a little faster and idle smoother. you can put the rest in a full tank of gas and/or i've heard some in the oil although i've never done that.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 PM
KFL

If you replace the plugs/wires/distbutor cap/rotor mini tune-up and it still feels off. Odds are a bad fuel injector..running on basically 3cylinders. You do a quick unplug at idle of the 1st injector its more common for a fuel injector to fail than a sparkplug wire..
Old 11-22-2007, 07:53 AM

well what would make to rattling noise in the engine a loose spark? or a the fuel injector?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

ka's make tons of different noises and only get worse as they age. the sohc ka's are known for having this rattling be do to stuck lifters. the dohc have the upper timing chain guide problem.

if you could post a vid or sound bite of the noise it would be a lot easyer to tell you what the problem is. also worn or ignition parts and corroded terminals can cause this rattling. faulty spark plugs and bad gas will do the same. but like i said without hearing the noise i can say for sure what is going on, or what i think the problem is.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

yeaup what he said above....

we however have to write ups on how to cure stuck lifters and get rid of timing chain guide in the wrtie up section... check it out.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 AM

just open up the valve cover, and take out the upper chain guide it's just right there under your nose.

also, the distributor assembly makes a rattling noise you can hear it by using a screwdriver. it's from a twin cam by the way.