General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

drift park

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

this is all going to depend on where you are at. ie:country close to city, ect.... sounds defiently an issure. safety: issue. but if you are like my house away from everyone. do it. pave it and then set it up with cones like mentioned before. Good luck and keep us informed on what you do.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren337
back to jbask's idea about drift parks being built like skate parks, that would not only benefit us, but the city. qualcomm stadium in san diego does drag nights, why not have drift days?
There are drift days already.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:55 PM

it would be for pratice use mostly. for myself
I LOVE DRIFTING
Old 01-28-2005, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
There are drift days already.
more. more common. more often. more locations.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Contributing Member

more. more common. more often. more locations.
you have no idea how much time, effort, and $ goes into one of these things, do you?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

here in knoxville there is a section of law that deals with dangerous use property...mainly the race tracks here...last year 3 people tried to file lawsuites against 2 different race tracks because of injuries due to racing accidents... they were tossed out because of the little clause that states driver error is not the responsibility of the facility or the owners of the establishment...race waivers here in knoxville hold up pretty damn good... in the past 5 years 9 suites were filed and all 9 were tossed out because the participants and the spectators signed a personal injury disclaimer...
if i had 2 acres of land outside of the city limits i sure as hell would build a "race park" not because of the money but because of the safety... the street racers here would take it to the track if there was a track they could use... cant drift at attomic speedway it is dirt... 411 has a paved oval but who wants to drift in a circle all day... right and left turns in rapid succession makes for a killer drift... cones are safe yes but you cant bank a cone... on camber drifts and off camber drifts would need banked curves both left and right... im not saying a flat paved lot would not kick *** im just sayin a track that could be drifted road raced would be killer... kinda like laguna seca or the likes... lots of cash but so worth it to people who want to drift or run the numbers...
Old 01-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Raine:

how much time, effort, and $ goes into cleaning up and investigating a fatal street racing accident?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Raine:

how much time, effort, and $ goes into cleaning up and investigating a fatal street racing accident?
Is that your point? If so then why not make a few freeways where you can drink and drive? how about a section of the city where you can run red lights whenever you want?

My point was that if you haven't ran or participated in organizing a quote/unquote "drift day" or "autoX" or similar event, then you're being ignorant in thinking that it's as easy to pull off as building and running/maintaining a skate park. Building a skate park takes a few weeks of building, paving, gating, etc. If you had to you could build a skatepark with 2 people. Running a "drift park" once a month requires a paid EMT staff each day you run, proper insurance coverage, and all the other stuff I already posted above.

Back to your "preventing accidents" idea: just to be blunt, if I were a city official who did not like drifting, and you came to me and said, "make us a drift park so we can drift, instead of risking our lives and others drifting on the streets" you know what I'd be thinking?

I can either:

A) spend the taxpayers money into commissioning a contractor to build a drift park, hiring a trained EMT emergency staff to work at drift park every day, hire regular 'day to day' staff - all so that this street racer guy can enjoy a fad.

or

B) say no, save the money for more important stuff - and if that kid crashes and dies or hurts other people - sure we have to clean up a little, but at least that idiot street racer is off the streets, and it's his insurance company - not taxpayers $ that I can use elsewhere - that has to deal with it.

Harsh I know - but think about it. Comparing skating and skateparks to drifting and drift parks is pointless because they're clearly two seperate things that have different requirements.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:46 AM

skate park vs drift park: 2 different things, i agree.

of course it takes time and money, and right now, cali has neither.

as for being a city official, what would you do?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren337 as for being a city official, what would you do?
^
Old 01-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
...I can either: ...
A or B
Old 01-29-2005, 03:18 PM

o

Last edited by jbask; 01-29-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:35 PM

jbask
i dont skate, i never have and probably never will. but i know that that the one similarity between skate park and drift park is a need for a safe place to "play". but there are other variables that the skate park doesnt have.

1. no skate park can push 100+ dB. how many SR20 skateboards have you seen?

2. if 2 skaters collide in a skate park, in no way will the jaws of life be neccesary.

3. if you want a decent skate park, you need a lot. if you want a decent drift park, you need >5 lots.

4. a full running crew at a skate park wouldnt even be considered a skeleton crew at a drift park.

that doesnt stop me from wanting to see more drift parks with more sessions in more places.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

A or B
good points in your last post... as gfor what I quoted - if I personally were a city official with that kind of "pull" I already know 4-5 big lots that are being unused (cloesd factories or manufacturing plants) within a 15 mile radius that can be used for "drift training".

However you know city officials. Remember - they're the same people who pass "modified exhaust", "excessive lowering", 'illegal lighting", and the other laws that are directly targeted at the same genre of people who would be interested in a "drift park".

I really like the Drift Day events, but there are so few events to go to. Signups for Drift Days usually max out at 30-50 per day for the weekend. Back when I was into drag, Pomona had open track sessions once a month... I remember they'd let in about 200 competitors... and there was still a long line of people who couldn't run that day because they closed reg. We had to get to the track at around 5am just to make sure we made the count
Old 01-30-2005, 05:26 PM

the parking lots are private property, right? i wonder how up the owners would be to allowing some drifting. i mean, yeah it's gotta be put thru the city, but i dont think they'd mind skimming off a lil cash from the events if they hosted. *shrug* there's gotta be some deal that the city will go for.

Quick Reply: drift park