General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

First problem with my new 240

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 03:29 PM

First problem with my new 240

Hello everyone... I'm new on these boards....

I just bought a '90 240sx hatchback m/t coming from a '95 altima a/t... and it's been a blast so far.

I bought the car to use daily and for a project car.

First order of business have been to replace the leaking valve cover gasket, replace the seals on the injectors and get a new muffler.

Well I did the first two last night, and the injectors only needed new seals (thank god!), but when I cranked the car up it was misfiring and kept dying... After looking the car over for about 2 hrs, and not finding the problem, we gave up for the night (1am)... I am going out of town for the weekend, but will try to fix the car monday night. We think the problem is that some gunk (from the leaking injectors) got on the tip of the 4th injector, causing the misfire.

Any input???

Also.. I really need a new muffler for under $100... nothing too loud... any ideas?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Regulate

Hmm, a muffler under $100. That could be a tough one if you want to get a name brand muffler. Otherwise, you could just go on ebay and do a search. Get one around or more than 100, I'd say anything less than that would either rust out real quick or sound really bad.

I got a muffler off ebay. It's an AC Autotechnic muffler. It's not a name brand but I got it last year when I just purchased my car, was on a low budget and wanted to do something to it quick. It's worked pretty well. It's not very loud at all and has a low growl to it (not farty or buzzy). No noticable performance difference tho, which you shouldn't expect from a muffler anyways. I payed $120.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't mind being silent (I love being silent and will stay that way when I am turbo) you might want to look into a stock replacement muffler.

Welcome to the boards have fun here.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:53 PM

thanks for the insight guys...

well I changed the seals on my injectors... but in doing so my friend dropped and cracked one of them... and another blew today... so one was replaced on sunday and one is being replaced tonight...

the new valve gasket shows no leaks and all the internals look great even at 135K miles....

my friend told me that right after I started the car and got on it to leave his house, there was a hint of blue smoke (just one puff, none afterwards) coming from the tailpipes... could this just be from it sitting for a couple of days and the injectors/valve cover being off?

muffler is coming soon... not sure what kind yet...
Old 08-26-2003, 05:09 PM

You should get an OEM muffler if you are planning on getting a catback or other aftermarket exhaust...and AC Autotechnic is a name brand, do a search and you will find that they sponsor a pretty fast drag car plus they have that sweet looking Titanium blaze exhaust.