General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Heads up desplay problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM

Question Heads up desplay problem

it seems like my heads up display needs to warm up before coming on. Wondering if anybody else has the same problem. In the morning it takes about 10 minutes for my heads up display to come on. When i start my car later on in the day, the display comes on with no problems. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it just me?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

its a normal problem... i dunno what causes it, but after a while, the hud and gauges need some "warm up" time
Old 02-28-2006, 03:56 AM

A common problem with the digital cluster is a resistor going bad, I've seen a write up somewhere on how to test it and how to fix it if it is your problem somewhere, I'll try and find it for you.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:10 AM

Hey, thanks for the feedback, I thought it was a problem that i only had, any suggestion anyone might have on fixing it? It only seems to happend when it's cold. Problem is pretty anoying.. Please help
Old 02-28-2006, 11:34 AM

Ok i just baught a 93 240 and it had the infamous dash lights hud and speedo inop untill the car reached the right temp. so i figured that the cluster was bad and had to get another one why not take this one apart. so i took the dash apart droping the steering column and removed the cluster. next dissambled it and removed the digital speedo part. than pluged in just the digital speedo part. than got a heat gun and started to heat each capacitor. than i found it it took a littel bit. i cooled it and heated it a couple of times to make sure. you can see it in the picture the one with the ring in it looks like a can. now it get a little tricky you have to take the 3 layers of circuit boards apart a couple of screws and 2 plastic clips and it comes apart. once it is a part pull the capacitor off of the board with pliers. there should be 2 legs sticking out of the board. next get the 1mf 50v capacitor you got from your local eletronics store and a good soldering iron put a bead of solder on each of the legs on the circuit board. than put the capacitor legs on the one sticking out of the board and hit each leg quickly so they solder together. than put all the boards back together and try it it now works if done right. For extra reinsurance i put hot glue on the capacitor and its legs so it could not vibrate loose. All is good now and it was fixed for less than $5

Heres one from another forum for now.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 AM

hey s13 240, thanks for the info. Though I don't have any electrical experience i'm going to take the desplay apart to let my friend take a look at it. Thanks alot, this should help
Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 AM

no problem