General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Help before I freeze to death!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Help before I freeze to death!

Alrighty, I live in SoCal and it's getting pretty chilly at night. Problem is, no matter how long my car stays on or how long I drive, the freakin heater won't work. By "won't work" I mean air comes out, just not hot or even mildly warm at all.

Background info: when I bought my car a couple months ago, the A/C would blow cold for about 10-15 minutes before the temp of the air went to outside temp, so I figured the A/C needs a recharge. The heater "seemed" to be working fine back then, but now that I think about it it was pretty hot outside to begin with.

Ironic how during the hot summer I added some heat insulation to the drivers side footwell, right side against the tranny tunnel, because it would get pretty hot after some spirited driving. Now I kinda wish I hadn't so I could cheese some heat from there LOL

I'm familiar with a lot of aftermarket stuff, a lot of OEM stuff, and your usual "in the garage at home" maintenance, but I've never dealt with a/c or heating problems. Can anyone help me out here?
Old 11-24-2003, 08:09 AM

if you arent too familiar with AC and heating systems then you might have to take it to a shop or the dealership since the AC system in 240's are somewhat complex. i pulled out the factory service manual and was looking for an answer, but your symptoms are a little vague so you might need a pro to look at it. it could be a number of things, but sounds like your AC compressor or blower motor is on its way out. see if you can get an AC shop to test it out and see if they can figure it out. good luck and report back with the results.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

I know what your talking about man, its getting pretty chilly, but its warming up. You can always where multiple layers of clothing
Old 11-24-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
I know what your talking about man, its getting pretty chilly, but its warming up. You can always where multiple layers of clothing
AND EAT ridiculous amounts of Ramen... always works for me
Old 11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NinjaKadet
AND EAT ridiculous amounts of Ramen... always works for me
i gatta try that haha
Old 11-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks OB for the info.

Jynx, It's uncomfortable driving with too many layers of clothing, and Ninja - too much MSG makes my stomach feel weird ROFL

What makes it wirse is that if I get the frost on my windshield, I have to drive with the windows open for the windshield to clear up... after like 30 minutes LOL

I love my car.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
Thanks OB for the info.

Jynx, It's uncomfortable driving with too many layers of clothing, and Ninja - too much MSG makes my stomach feel weird ROFL

What makes it wirse is that if I get the frost on my windshield, I have to drive with the windows open for the windshield to clear up... after like 30 minutes LOL

I love my car.
lol, well ive been wearing multiple layers of clothes a long time..keeps me warm and i dont like wearing sweaters much, so im used to it. Try pouring a few cups of HHHHHOOOOOTTTTTT water on ur windshield, works for me
Old 11-24-2003, 01:18 PM

The heater problem sounds like a bad or blocked heater core. The A/C prob may be that it needs to be charged or it may be a bad condenser. I'm betting on the condenser since it blows cool for 10 -15 minutes.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the input... anyone got a ballpark figure on the cost of heater cores? Now I have to figure this into my car budget
Old 11-24-2003, 08:27 PM

Eat Flaming-Hot Cheetos.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
lol, well ive been wearing multiple layers of clothes a long time..keeps me warm and i dont like wearing sweaters much, so im used to it. Try pouring a few cups of HHHHHOOOOOTTTTTT water on ur windshield, works for me
Sorry bro but DO NOT i repeat DO NOT pour hot water on a frozen windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will crack your windshield!!! It has happened to me on my old car and you can ask any car guy he will tell you the same. Imagine pouring hot water in a cup of ice, it cracks all the ice or makes all those cracking noises. Just leave an old towel on your windows at night and take it off in the mornin. Sorry Jynx jus lookin out for you man
Old 11-25-2003, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

The windshield thing was when I'd go somewhere at night for a couple hours, come back, and it's all frosty. If you see a 240SX parked on the streets with towels on the windows, it's your fault j/k
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s14.5boy
Sorry bro but DO NOT i repeat DO NOT pour hot water on a frozen windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will crack your windshield!!! It has happened to me on my old car and you can ask any car guy he will tell you the same. Imagine pouring hot water in a cup of ice, it cracks all the ice or makes all those cracking noises. Just leave an old towel on your windows at night and take it off in the mornin. Sorry Jynx jus lookin out for you man
Well thx for the heads up bro! I should put a electric blankey over it lol
Old 11-25-2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by s14.5boy
My bimmer is gay and fogs up bad too lol.. but I use Windex... it has that Anti fog crap chemical... eh works for me haha.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NinjaKadet
My bimmer is gay and fogs up bad too lol.. but I use Windex... it has that Anti fog crap chemical... eh works for me haha.
lol i gatta try that, all cars fog up pretty badly

Quick Reply: Help before I freeze to death!