General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Help! Car wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:09 PM

Help! Car wont start.

I tried starting my car today and it wouldnt turn over and the automatic seatbelts slowly stopped moving. So I pulled the battery and went out and bought a new one, hooked it up and it still wont turn over. It's like it's not getting power to the starter or something. Something electrical has to be going wrong because my radio stopped working a few weeks ago (not getting power) Then a few days ago the automatic seatbelts stopped opening when I turned the car off and opened the door. So I would have to turn the car back on, open the door and wait for the seatblets to go then turn off the car. Also my windshield wipers stopped working on slow a few days ago. Somehow something isnt sending power to everything else. I dont know what it is or what to do yet. Tomorrow im going to check all the fuses and make sure none are blown. Is there a fuse for the starter/ignition that could be blown and not letting it start? Please help. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

dang, thats not good, nto one bit, have you maybe checked the battery cables? maybe some of the acid ate through it? thats the only thing i can think of....good luck
Old 05-12-2004, 12:04 AM

i am in the same problem as u only my car does start. not to long ago my car didnt turn over it was because one of my wires on my starter came off but fixed that problem. only problem with my electrical is my radio,seat belts,lights dont work. if any one can point us in the right direction thx.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:17 AM

i had the same exact problem.
i fixed it by making sure that the cables for the battery were fastened tight.
when you move the battery wire around the the power turn on and off?
if it does thats ur problem.
change the wires or just make sure it is tight.
another problem that i ran into is the fuses
check the fuse
when this happen to me alot of my fuses blew
so check them and change them
it that doesn't work i dont know what wrong
Old 05-12-2004, 09:02 AM

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Last edited by masplinter9; 05-12-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:44 PM

Check your grounds, Make sure the one to the chasis is good and that the one to the engine is okay too. If it's still stock cables you should change them but dont forget to ground the chasis and engine like it was b4 lol im a clutz I forgot to ground it to the chasis and ran it straight to the engine and after a little while if I press the brake the radio would turn off.

Good luck

Oh ya check those fuses like haipho123 said, if 4 some reason my car starts acting wierd electricly and I fix it there is some fuse that blew it never fails.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:15 PM

If there are any stiff wire you should change them stiff wires arnt good at all like you ground if it has acid on it or you power get a wire brush and brish the **** out of them cheak those fuses people always for get about the fuses. another thing it could be is your starter seliniod it ther thing in your engine bay that make the clicking nise when you tun the car over if thats bad then nothing will work because that is the main house for all the power to all the electrical on the in side and out of your car if that dont work nothing will work so cheakthose thing if that dosent do it then i dont know wht to tell you. Good Luck
Old 05-13-2004, 11:26 PM

I got the car started, but now none of my "accesories" work. Like the radio, fog lights, int. light, cigarette lighter, auto seatbelts. They work sometimes but not most of the time. I took it in to the shop yesterday to have them diagnose it and see if they can fix my problem. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow.