NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

HELP...my car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 11:17 AM

HELP...my car wont start

hey guys i need help, my car wouldnt start up on monmday morning and i tryed to jump it, it was running fine on sunday night when i got home, but it was a lil rough, low oil, so i tryed changing my oil, and i smelled gas in my oil so i tryed to lite it on fire and it got on fire, and i know oil not supposed to catch on fire, so ther is deffenintly gas in my oil some how
my first guesss is...i blew my headgasket casue most the 240sx i rea dup online they blew their headgasket n they sell their carss, but im not sure, i really need help.
thanks
Old 12-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

In the 13 months i've been with 240's online, I've never heard of gas getting into the oil before. Get a compression test done on her. Generally a blown head gasket won't prevent your car from starting, so this could be an interesting problem. Just because you blow a HG doesn't mean you should get another car, you can look into rebuilding, or even buy a used KA from one of the many people upgrading to SR's. Bringing this to any mechanic would be a nightmare, they'd tell you your fuel lines are dead, your engine needs rebuilding, eveyrthing. I searched NICO and freshalloy and didn't find anything on headgasket and gas, so I don't what to say than do a compression test to see for sure if the gasket is blown.

Dr.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:25 AM

I have heard of 240's having problems with headgaskets but the only thing that leaks is the antifreeze in to the head.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

If you had coolant in your oil you should suspect a head gasket.

If you can light your oil on fire then you should suspect it of being a petroleum product.. you know, like gasoline, diesel fuel, home heating oil.

-Justin
Old 01-02-2004, 09:46 PM

so what do i need to do? to fx it
Old 01-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

does it click a lot, or just click over once and not do anything? If you really think the HG is bad, compression test it like I said! Otherwise, check to see if fuel is getting to the injectors, make sure air is getting in, check wires, plugs, cap & rotor. Thats a start.

Dr.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

the only way you would get gas in your oil is that your spark plugs are very very loose and gas is getting in through your plug gasket, other than that its unusual
Old 01-23-2004, 02:35 AM

I could be wrong but if the rings are fried, (and I mean REALLY fried), couldn't that allow fuel to bleed into the oil. It would explain the rough running and could have been caused by the low oil situation if it was low for a long time. The compression test the doc ordered would tell what's up. I would think, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that if it's the head gasket you would see low compression on one or two cylinders, and if it's the rings you would see lower compression on all cylinders? I dunno for sure, just tryin to help.....
Old 01-23-2004, 04:45 AM

I was just about to say the exact same thing but i think you just might have nailed it; however, i was thinking the combination of both the spark plugs and piston rings. Check to see if your spark plugs have oil all over them and if they do it might not be firing correctly when fuel is being injected. And if that is the case most of the times it would be caused from a valve cover leakage. But the worst part is when your piston rings are so fried the unburned fuel might have gotten through to your oil. But like the man says, "compression test". That is the easiest way to find out.