General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Help! You know better than me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:58 AM

Help! You know better than me!

Hey everyone. I bought my first 240 about 4 months ago. I knew nothing about them at the time, but know a lot more now.
It's a 91 with the Hicas. The car is mint, no rust or dents. Interior is clean. Low miles on it. Everything works great.
The problem is the hicas! I hear that it requires different suspension if you are upgrading it. And it's more work if you want a new steering wheel. Not to mention the hicas probably weighs more.
Should I just sell the car and look for one without hicas? I know there are eliminator kits for it, but why waste the money?
I plan on doing a ka24det or maybe a sr20 swap and the hicas is going to get in the way. So maybe I should just buy a car with the the upgrades I want already done?

What would you guys do? The car is mint, but I can sell it for more than what I paid for it too!

Anyone got a sr20 or ka24det 240 for sale in Vancouver area?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

get the elminators... or a subframe and/or parts from a non-hicas s13

keep the car... i doubt youll ever find another one in that good of shape
Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM

get the hicas elminator and chill out a little bit
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Help! You know better than me!

Originally posted by mapleridge818 I hear that it requires different suspension if you are upgrading it.
What are you upgrading it to?

And it's more work if you want a new steering wheel.
Do you have a new steering wheel yet?

Not to mention the hicas probably weighs more.
If your car is stock it isn't enough of a difference.

I plan on doing a ka24det or maybe a sr20 swap and the hicas is going to get in the way.
Easily fixed by what s13240 said... but then again, it's just a "plan".
Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

i love how he says he wants to buy another 240 with the mods already done to it...you wouldnt happen to be related to the guy who hit 13ooher14's car now would you?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Well thanks for the advice guys.
What was I going to do for the suspension? I was going to lower it. Either with some drop spings, ruca and maybe some stiffer shocks or maybe some coilovers if I can find some for an ok price.
I don't have a steering wheel for it yet. I was just looking for one when I found out I either need to ditch the hicas or look for a special hub adapter (if there is one out there).

I'm not sure what you were implying by asking if I was related to the guy that hit 13ooher14? What does me wanting to look for a 240 with a sr or rb swap done have to do with driving a hummer?

I just figured if I'm going to spend money on an eliminator kit for the hicas, then pay for a sr20, suspention, rims etc. Why not buy a car that is done and save myself a few grand?

And for the record Hummers =
Old 12-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

i was joking...lol...i was sayin you were rich...buying a car with mods already done to it is generally not a good idea, obvioulsy if this person is going to modify their car they probably drove it pretty hard and you dont kno the quality and condition of the parts or the install, if i was you id do a little homework and install the parts yourself. its like saying a artist, instead of buying canvas and paint, wants to buy a painting thats already done.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:22 AM

there is much more pride in building the car you want yourself.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Ayuaddict
i love how he says he wants to buy another 240 with the mods already done to it...you wouldnt happen to be related to the guy who hit 13ooher14's car now would you?
lol, could be! I wouldnt think hicas would be that bad. I mean if your wanting to do this new craz that sweeping the nation called drifting, then i would understand.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mapleridge818 I just figured if I'm going to spend money on an eliminator kit for the hicas, then pay for a sr20, suspention, rims etc. Why not buy a car that is done and save myself a few grand?
Because you know where your car has been before and after the mods. Because real car guys/girls take pride in not just driving but building and modifying their cars.

There's no effort in buying a premod. People who do that usually want to get into the "trend" ASAP to be cool without paying their dues.

If you find a swapped car with all the mods on it already that you want, you'll pay high if it's decent. If you pay low then for sure you gotta think that they're selling a fully modded car low for a reason... which probably is "to get rid of it fast".

You save a grand here now, but who knows how much you'll spend fixing it after.

$0.02
Old 12-22-2005, 05:41 PM

Thanks again for the imput guys. What you are saying about taking pride and building it yourself does make a lot of sence. You can make sure it's done right and the way you like it. And I do enjoy working on cars. Not to mention a car with mods probably has had the crap kicked out of it and who knows who did the mods.

It just sucks having so much you want to do and such a small amout of money to do it! A car that's got a lot of mods done to it is a fraction the cost of doing the same mods to a your own car. But like you guys said, you might have to dump a bunch of money into a modded car because it's been thrashed on.

I just wish I didn't have a budget!

Anyhow. If I keep my car, what can you guys tell me about lowering the car if I want to keep the hicas? Are springs, shocks, rucas or coilovers the same for a hicas as a non-hicas? I've found conflicting info about that!

Again thanks! You guys make sence
Old 12-22-2005, 05:47 PM

for me, 3/4 of the fun in tuning is doing the research. With all the information available on the internet (from RELIABLE sources!), you can find the best parts that fit your budget.