General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Lack of Power, Low Idle, Poor Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:34 PM

Lack of Power, Low Idle, Poor Shifting

i have a 1992 240sx DOHC A/T
well ive been have this problem now for about 2 summers now ever since i bought my car. Only the summer because i store it away for the wimter...ivw ben having problems with lack of power, poor acceleration, low idle when stopped at a light(550-650) and strange shifting(the car semed to struggle shifting gears almost like a hesitation...the car feels like its braking in the midle of shifts) So i was trying to figure out what the hell was going on.....at first i thought it might be the transmission so ran codes on it and everything checked out ok. i was just reading earlier in a few posts about how the tps could be the culprit since the symptoms i have have to do with the tps. So what i did was i started up my car, unplugged the tps harness thing and plugged it back in.....and all of a sudden my car is running awesome....my idle was very stable when stopped( around 750rpm), i had 100% more power and the shifting was smoooth as ever....so then just for the heck of it i ran the codes on my transmission again and it said my TPS was either disconnected or shorted(now why it would say this when the car is running good when before it didnt say this when the car was running bad i dont know) But now i believe ive narrowed it down to the TPS. Now why would it say the tps is shorted or disconnected now that its running good?????????? Now i just got back and my car kinda feels like its goin back to its old crappy self......so i ran codes on the tranny again and it says everything is ok. Im really confused on whats going on here. if the tps was shorted would the car still run good??????????? and why are the codes saying the tps is fine when its not??????