NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Extremely Poor Gas Mileage, Rough Idling, & Lack Of Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Extremely Poor Gas Mileage, Rough Idling, & Lack Of Power

I have the KA24E SOHC engine. For the past few days, my car is running very poorly. On a complete stop, the engine idling very roughly, sometimes I feel like the engine is gonna shut off any second.

When it's idling, there are black & greyish smoke coming out from my muffler. The gas mileage also getting really bad. I can only get about 11mpg on local/highway usage.

Things that I replaced just about a month ago are distributor cap, spark plugs, & thermostat. When I purchased the car, the owner claimed that he just replaced the O2 sensor. I didn't change the spark plug wires yet since it's still look quite new. I also added the Chevron fuel system cleaner few times when I filled up the gas.

The engine was idling very rough not long after I purchased my car but after I replaced all those stuff that I mentioned above, the engine ran very smoothly.

After about 2 weeks, the engine is back to worse again though. The engine is very weak. A lot of times the engine barely even making any power even at full throttle. There are some hestitation.

I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter next. What do you guys think? Any suggestion guys?

Thanks a lot for reading this guys. Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:42 PM

Well if your check engine light isn't on, sounds like you got seriously screwed in a high mileage car.....LOL
Old 10-07-2005, 04:53 PM

Yea, the check engine light isn't on at all. What do you think I should do? Could the injector be clogged?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:23 AM

taking out aiv might help the idle. could be that the cat is burnt out (dont hold me to that, just a guess)
Old 10-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Contributing Member

check if dist was properly installed and check timing too. if timing is bad, check the oil for any fuel smell. chaneg if needed (duh). check for bad fuel injectors by disconnecting the wires one at a time while its running. if you see no change on any then you found your dud(s). is it me or a lot people are having fuel injector problems lately? goodluck, keep us updated
Old 10-12-2005, 02:54 AM

Here's an update on this problem. Yesterday I replaced my fuel filter. Now the engine idling smooth. I haven't test the mpg yet though. Right now even though the engine idling very smoothly, a lot of times when I hit the gas slightly harder or at full throttle, I feel hestitation. I noticed it more when I try to hit the gas harder from a dead stop. I'm leaning towards the fuel injector though.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:10 PM

Check your tps sensor, located on the throttle body. ZMoving the sensor clock wise will make the injectors run leaner,, counter clockwise will make it run richer. Do not attempt to do this without proper diagnostic equipment....
Old 10-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
Check your tps sensor, located on the throttle body. ZMoving the sensor clock wise will make the injectors run leaner,, counter clockwise will make it run richer. Do not attempt to do this without proper diagnostic equipment....
spoken like a true scholar
did i spell that wrong LOL